DreamingBlue

Oct 16, 2020
New York
We are in the design stage of our inground pool. We’ll have the steps in the corner. The length and width of the pool meet at 90 degrees where the steps will be. When you finish walking down the steps you’re at 48 inches of water. What are the pros and cons of either step type? I am not sure if we will have a hand rail. So i want the steps to make me feel sure-footed.

How many feet from the stairs may the slope start? I know one needs steady ground shortly after coming down the stairs. What’s the minimum? Any other stair shape I should consider that doesn’t overly intrude into my shallow section yet doesnt feel petite?

Hi DB! Welcome to TFP. It's great that you found us before your build. Our experts can help you with all sorts of pre-build questions.

@JamesW, @jimmythegreek, thoughts about stairs in a corner?

I was going to suggest: you can add a removable hand rail now, and put it away until the need arises. James and Jimmy can maybe weigh in on that idea, too.

Reactions: DreamingBlue
ohboy.... not having a hand rail has been a small catastrophe for some folks here who later injure themselves, get a new knee, have elderly parents come visit....and without the hand rail they can't get in or out (ask me how I know?!).

Adding one after the fact can be done but its either going to be difficult (needs to be added to the ground wire under the decking) more costly, or its a plastic type railing that doesn't requiring grounding but may not be the style you like.

Best middle ground is to have hand rail fittings placed when the pool is built, so that the rail is included in the ground wire. But don't put the rails in until needed.

Alternatively, if you worried about style- there are some very stylish railings (almost art!) on the market these days. That might suit your needs better?

Maddie :flower:

Do you have any drawings or renderings of your design yet? Post those, pics of your yard, sketched ideas, quotes, equipment lists, etc as you get them, and we'll be more than happy to help you sort them all out...

The rails I have seen online are in the middle the stairs. I would consider a “designer rail” like I’ve seen online at SR Smith. Are you guys familiar with diagonal stairs and the handrail is to the side and not smack in the middle of the stairs? Also in photos sometimes the rail bottom post is sunk into one of the lower steps. Other people ground the rail entirely into the patio. We are redoing our patio anyway. Which is a better way to set the rail on diagonal steps?

Blue,

I personally hate wedding cake style stairs...

I have a rent house with similar style stairs and it makes my brain hurt.. :mrgreen:

Just does not seem natural for me compared to walking up or down a normal set of stairs.

I too recommend adding a rail now and installing it later when needed.. If you don't, you will end up with something like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is there a reason like an autocover that you want in pool stairs? I personally hate all inpool stairs, my preference is stairs centered on the short end or a small L bump out on either corner. Doesnt take up space in shallow end and handrails can be on both sides if wanted of in the middle

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.