We have a hole in the ground! New O/B in Queen Creek, AZ

Tile is all laid and covered with left over bender board to keep the sun from baking it. It needs to sit a couple of days prior to grouting. Now I just need to finish the stone, put up a fence across the patio, and mount the blower on its pipe. I’m hoping to get the pre-plaster inspection next week.

Question: Does the cleanup crew need to come out prior to the inspection? I’d like to hold off on cleanup until the couple of days prior to plaster, so the pool is as clean and ready as possible.

Also, I have a few square feet of leftover glass tile. Any suggestions on what I could do with it? The end is near!

Well, bad news here. I was removing the bender boards I laid out to line up the glass tile and some strips of tile pulled off the pool shell. The problem is the mortar bed I laid down is crumbly and soft and did not adhere to the shotcrete properly. I used a pre-mixed bag of type S mortar. When I was mixing it, it acted like it was low on concrete, but I figured I was just being paranoid for no reason. I should have gone with my gut and/or just mixed my own batch. Now I’m considering pulling up all of the glass tile and throwing it out. I don’t want any failures down the road that will be costly and ugly to repair. I’m very frustrated, to say the least. The good news is that the thinset and hydro ban are performing extremely well. They are much stronger than the mortar. Ugh.

Ha, no kidding. I suppose there's always the chance I didn't mix the mortar with enough water, but I mixed it the same as all the other batches I used on the block wall and that mortar is hard as a rock. Here are some photos of the issue

pB3Ll96.jpg

jXNIT1g.jpg

uX83N1j.jpg

That is the mortar in a section that didn't pull up. I'd say I'm asking for trouble down the road if I leave it in. I’m going around and checking all of the mortar to see if it is all soft. A lot of it seems fine. Maybe I can pull up and redo the weak spots and leave the good spots. I dunno.

Last edited:
All of the sections of tile that needed to be repaired are done. It was far less than I thought. Maybe 10 linear feet or so. The rest aren't going anywhere. I pulled and pried on them about as hard as I can and they didn't budge. All of the glass tile adhesive and hydroban were cleaned up and I grouted yesterday. Stacked stone on the back wall is finished. Basically, the pool is finished. The glass tile can't be submerged for 21 days from when it was laid, so we are just in a holding pattern until that time passes and we can get pebble done.

My last tasks are to put up a fence across our patio so it will pass pre-plaster inspection and to bring in the cleanup crew to get things ready for plaster. We are still on track for filling the pool toward the end of this month. It will largely depend on the plaster sub's schedule at this point. Very happy to be done with the bulk of the DIY stuff. There was one casualty in the tile process. I was so over it all after finishing that I left my margin trowel in the bucket with the epoxy grout. Oops. Here are a couple shots after finishing the glass tile late yesterday afternoon.

R4xWD9m.jpg

QFAsmRI.jpg

Some people swear by it! It does a lot of work in the very beginning. It will also be a work horse if you have a lot of water features what will push the pH up. Me? I am a worrier so would worry about it failing and dumping the acid all at once.........is it a valid worry? Don't know so..........

LOVE the tile and BLING! You did a good job with the marker tile! That grout looks great!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people swear by it! It does a lot of work in the very beginning. It will also be a work horse if you have a lot of water features what will push the pH up. Me? I am a worrier so would worry about it failing and dumping the acid all at once.........is it a valid worry? Don't know so..........

LOVE the tile and BLING! You did a good job with the marker tile! That grout looks great!

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Kim. That tile was an incredible pain in the rear, but I’m very happy with the final product. Now that it’s done, I’ll be able to look at the pool and not regret leaving it out. I did buy a little bit too much glass tile adhesive, so if anybody in the SE valley needs an unopened 25lb bag of it, I’ll let it go for half of what I bought it for.

I actually did think about how sad you’d be if I screwed it up. You motivated me! I read through some of the more in-depth threads on the intellipH and I’m pretty convinced it’s what I would like to get. I’ll look into that when I get back from vacation. Headed out for a cruise tomorrow! Excited to relax and will have the pool here to keep things interesting when I get home.

I'm thinking of adding the IntelliPh to my equipment. It sounds like people have been happy with its performance vs the IntelliChem. Any thoughts on that?

Where's @Dirk when you need him most?? Oh, and @MyAZPool too?

CH51...
If you have questions re the IntellipH, Mr. Dirk is certainly one of the guys to ask. He has written extensively here on TFP regarding the installation and use of the IntellipH. I'm sure you can find those threads using the search feature. He helped answer many questions that I had, before I decided on the IntellipH vs the IntelliChem. I did decide on the IntellipH and installed it in December. I probably can answer any specific questions that you might have. I would recommend the IntellipH vs the IntelliChem. I just don't believe that the IntelliChem is where it needs to be in order to live up to its promises for a variety of reasons.

The IntellipH is pretty straight forward regarding installation and I have also written on the Installation of the IntellipH (IntellipH Installation, setup and initial settings).
Like I said, do a "IntellipH" search here on TFP and you will find lot's of useful information that will help you make an informed decision.
Thanks.
r.

Thanks for all the help, guys. The intelliph looks like a good choice.

I’m back from vacation and ready to finish up this project. I have a couple more questions.

I’m leaning toward pebble top main drain covers. Is there a recommended size? I see 8” and 10” covers mainly. Maybe 8” in the spa and 10” in the pool?

I have suction in the wall of the pool to feed my water features since they are on their own circuit. What kind of covers are normally used for those?

Lastly, I am looking at the AquaStar 7 1/2” PVC umbrella sleeves. Is there a reason to be looking at something else?

Thanks! Weather permitting, things should be wrapping up in the next couple of weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.