We had the stone sealed and now we can’t get ph down!!!

AmyT

Jul 23, 2012
Cypress, Texas
We had the stone sealed about a month ago, and I can’t get the ph down. When I test it, it’s so dark red that it’s off the Taylor color chart. If I just put two drops of Regent 0004 then I get 8.2, so I know it’s got to be very high. I have added 4 gallons of acid over several weeks and 50+ lbs of baking soda. Right now I’m at:
FC: 7
CC: 0
PH: Maybe 12?
CH: 270
TA: 100
CYA: 30
What do I do? I backwashed last weekend and purposefully dumped a lot of water out of the pool. Asked the pool store and they didn’t know other than to add more acid. What do I do? I used the same stone company to seal my stone that all my neighbors have used for the 15 years. None of them take care of their own pool, so no one was able to help me. Hasn’t anyone ever had this problem. What do I do except drain half the water out of my pool?

It is not chemically possible to have a very high pH and high TA at the same time.

EDIT -- sorry - got that backwards!

Why are you adding baking soda?

How are you testing your water chemistry?

Last edited:
It is not chemically possible to have a very high pH and high TA at the same time.

EDIT -- sorry - got that backwards!

Why are you adding baking soda?

How are you testing your water chemistry?
Adding baking soda to raise TA back up, because when I add a gallon of acid it lowers the TA too far. I am using the TF-100 kit to test. I just can't get the ph down.

TA down to 60 is ok. Stop adding the baking soda.

What is the pH of your fill water?

Consider buying a pH Meter

Here is what I would do............get ready for a big fight. Pick a day when you have a couple of hours to fight this beast. Have the acid ready to go.
-Turn your pump on high and have the brush beside where you add the acid
-Use Pool Math and "pretend" your pH is 8.2 as that is as high as your current test goes. Set your goal as 7.2 and add what Pool Math says to.
-brush the area good and wait 15 mins. Remember your pump should be on high to really mix things up good.
-After 15 mins test your pH again. IF it is not in the 7's then do the above again.
-Keep doing the above every 15 mins until you see the pH hit the 7s.

Good luck and happy fighting!!!

Sealing the stone should not cause any pool chemistry issues.

Did any sealer get in the pool?

Is pH test purple?

For the pH to be that high, the only common way is from new plaster.

I suspect that the reading might be an error. Maybe due to very high chlorine.

How are you testing the chlorine?

If you're not using FAS-DPD, the reading might be off.

What test kit do you have?

What is the pool surface?

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.