Waterway 150 sqft cartridge system w/ 1.5hp 2speed pump ~ (cartridge and pump questions)

egiblock

May 23, 2019
Ohio
been working great and running on a rotation of 12 hours at night on high usually. a couple of days when it was raining I didn't run it. but overall pretty good. chemical levels are all steady and I don't have to do a lot of maintenance to keep it in the clear.. hehe

yesterday it seems like the water filter wasn't doing much so I cleaned out the cartridge with a hose (only about 1 1/2 months old cartridge).

1) it's running on high, and I'm getting about 20 psi on the pressure gauge, if I flip the motor to low-speed mode, psi is around 4/5. is this normal? I've noticed that right after I clean the filter, there is good water flow and psi around (15-18) and then after 2-3 days of running on my 12 hr cycle on high, it seems to be barely pushing out any water, but this might be normal? I'm new to all of this.

2) if I try to flip the switch on the pump to high, it doesn't spin, just hums.. if I turn it on low speed and then flip the switch to high, it runs. maybe time to get a new pump?

thoughts?

Filter flow reducing after a few days is not normal. Usually caused by algae buildup in the filter.

How do you chlorinate your pool? What test kit do you use?

Fix for algae is the SLAM Process

@JamesW @Jimrahbe may have thoughts on your pump.

Frog system for chlorination (not I’m not removing it....this year)

Chlorine packs once a week (usually the no chlorine oxyidier pack or another shock pack I have). I Just used up my one test kit and getting a new one next week. But last water sample at pool store and levels were all good....

Eric,

As Allen points out, you have an algae bloom, whether you can see it or not.. Not much we can do to help with that as long as you continue to use the pool store for your testing and keep throwing pool store magic packs of "stuff" into your pool... ?

On a single speed pump the main reason you would hear a hum, instead of the pump running, would be the starter cap. I am not a two speed pump expert, but I would assume the same thing applies. Before I would go out a buy a new pump, I would install a new starter cap in the old one and see if that fixes your problem.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.