Waterline Tile Grout Repair

Mar 8, 2017
Largo, Florida
I have a very small section of waterline tile, maybe 6 to 8 inches long, where the grout is chipped out and missing. All the rest of the tile grout is fine, so not sure why this one spot has an issue.

Attaching a couple of pics
IMG_20200530_105834764_HDR-01.jpg
IMG_20200530_105854768_HDR-01.jpg

I'd like to repair it and hoping for recommendations or experience with specific grout products that have been used with success. I'm weighing the pros and cons of the following:

1. Traditional modified and sanded tile grout
2. E-Z Patch® 22 Neutral Cure 100% Silicone Rubber
3. Novagard RTV 700-164 Silicone Tile Grout

Don't want to buy a giant thing of sanded grout just to do this little area, but I will if that's the best option. Also, someone I know suggested maybe I re-seal the rest of the tile grout while I'm at it. I have some "regular" tiling experience (e.g., showers, etc.), but not pool tile. Is use of a traditional grout sealer a good idea/recommended in a pool application?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I would not use a silicone based product.

I use E-Z Patch® 4 (White) Pool Tile Grout Repair - E-Z Patch for grout repairs.

You should go around and fix any hairline cracks in the grout. I don’t use sealer on pool grout.

I recently repaired some missing grout and cracked tiles. I used the EZ Patch 3 to reset tiles and EZ Patch 4 to grout. I added a little concrete dye from Home Depot to the grout mix to better match the surrounding grey grout.

FWIW: I have never done grout work before; I just watched their videos and followed instructions. It was easy and turned out great.

Thank you so much, AJW22 and Mpire for the recommendation/endorsement for EZ Patch 4! We've had a ton of rain here on the Gulf Coast of Florida the past few days so I didn't get to this project over the weekend as planned. But I'm hoping to tackle soon and I'll try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

@ajw22 you mentioned above that you would not use a silicon based product, understanding the above repair is gunite. I have gotten different advice for installing waterline tile on my fiberglass pool. NovaGard adhesive & caulk came highly recommended. If it is a matter of mixing two types of caulk, I get that, but are there other reasons for your recommendation?

TIA

@ajw22 you mentioned above that you would not use a silicon based product, understanding the above repair is gunite. I have gotten different advice for installing waterline tile on my fiberglass pool. NovaGard adhesive & caulk came highly recommended. If it is a matter of mixing two types of caulk, I get that, but are there other reasons for your recommendation?

TIA

Fiberglass pool is a very different situation then a plaster pool.

Novagard is good for tile on a fiberglass pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.