WaterGuru - A Test

The system is designed to sample water once per day. In an established and balanced swimming pool, that’s all you really need. So a single cartridge could last 2 full months. A typical pool owner would probably need 2-3 test cartridges per season, more if you run your pool year-round.

Can you set the test frequency?
Not that I’ve seen. You can set the time of day for the test. I set mine to 7pm.

The results from late yesterday are showing as Tuesday's (today's) results in the web app now - so I can mouse over the point and it says FC was 5.2. This lines up with the addition I made - it wasn't an exact measurement when I added, just an eyeball of half a gallon, and since the test I did was 3.0 it could have been anywhere from 2.5 - 3.5 with margin of error.

So far so good. I'll continue to do both for a week or so and report results here. If it continues to be accurate, I will start using the measurements from the WaterGuru for my daily FC addition and pH adjustments as needed and test weekly to make sure it's not out of synch.

It won't replace a FAS-DPD kit for the reasons I posted upthread, but if I don't have to take my own water samples but once a week it might be worth the initial investment.

All of this depends on the app continuing to be supported, which is the 500lb gorilla in the room. If they decide at some point to stop supporting the app and it won't run on phones / servers stop running then the device will stop working entirely. But I figured I'd give it a chance. Hopefully they continue to support it for a long time to make my ROI worth it. :)

Oh, and so far, their support has been great for my small sample size. E-mails returned within an hour or two regarding the missing mesh bag, the question about numeric values, and the skimmer. (They said they're asking about a square skimmer and will get back to me. I plan to purchase an additional skimmer lid and see if the CNC router at work can cut a circle in it for me.)

It’s pretty expensive for just a chemical monitor (and only two parameters at that ...). The real test of this system is in its fully functional mode acting as both a monitor AND dosing system (acid and chlorine). It would be interesting to see someone on TFP actually use it as it is intended to see the performance. I know it’s been run through beta test pools but real world, end-user experience (unbiased from affiliation to the parent company) would be most interesting to me.

And the App needs UI/UX work (all apps do) ... they should work with the Pool Math developer and create an API to allow Pool Math and Water Guru to share data ;-)

Reactions: B_A_T
It’s pretty expensive for just a chemical monitor (and only two parameters at that ...). The real test of this system is in its fully functional mode acting as both a monitor AND dosing system (acid and chlorine). It would be interesting to see someone on TFP actually use it as it is intended to see the performance. I know it’s been run through beta test pools but real world, end-user experience (unbiased from affiliation to the parent company) would be most interesting to me.

And the App needs UI/UX work (all apps do) ... they should work with the Pool Math developer and create an API to allow Pool Math and Water Guru to share data ;-)
I agree with the API idea.

You mean that it works somewhere as a dosing system? That means more hardware.

I didn't see an alternative that had web/app support, aside from the pHIN, which doesn't test for FC, costs about the same, and has a yearly subscription. (The cassettes amount to one in application, granted.)

I see a directions on a dosing system on their help items, but I didn't see any options for that when I purchased the device. I have no idea how that would even fit into the skimmer device. The cassette/dangle seems large but certainly not large enough to contain 2 months worth of acid and chlorine.

And yes, importing the test results into Pool Math would be great. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It skipped tonight’s test at 7pm. Maybe because I did an extra one yesterday. I’ll let it ride. If it doesn’t do one tomorrow I’ll ask the support - could be a bug.

7/24 results:

Taylor:
FC: 2.5
pH: 7.7

WaterGuru:
FC: ?
pH: ?

So... the web app shows today’s results only on a slider. It doesn’t show the data from today on the graph so I don’t know a numeric result. Maybe it will update tomorrow.

This is a pretty big API issue, but I’m hoping they’ll allow access to numeric data a little easier in the future or this is kind of a bust. I can’t add chems based on a nebulous slider display.

A3A3F048-D515-4650-BE5B-5A0F2FA5E352.png
4FDFDE1A-1771-4214-B3E6-B0DF18A7BFB3.png

I sent in to their support about the web graph not showing yesterday's results. The other odd thing is that you can manually run an additional test - I did that on Monday, and it showed up on the graph for Tuesday the next day. Until then I didn't get a numerical reading.

They need to add a simple table to the (edit: GUI, not API), with time/date and readings on it.

Last edited:
7/25: Device did not activate at 7pm as it should have. Manually hit the button to trigger a test at 8pm. Sliders updated but the web app still doesn’t have an upgraded graph from yesterday or today. So I still can’t see the numeric values.

Side note: this morning, last night's (Thursday's) test showed up on the web app graph as Friday's test. So I can get numbers from yesterday to compare.

7/24 results:

Taylor:
FC: 3.0
pH: 7.8

WaterGuru:
FC: 3.8
pH: 7.5

Here is my Waterguru lab sample report. Mailed Tuesday AM 7/23 from NC to CA. Resulted Friday 7/26 PM. The vial was rinsed with pool water several times, the sample was collected from water that had been circulating 15-20" below the surface. It was capped under water to keep out air and placed into the opaque mailer immediately after drying off the vial.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-26 WaterGuru.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-26 WaterGuru.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Screenshot_2019-07-26 WaterGuru(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-07-26 WaterGuru(1).png
    14.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Test did not automatically trigger again. Ran it manually again. Didn’t show on graph again - will likely show tomorrow as tomorrow’s test.

Didn’t have time today to test with Taylor kit for comparison tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.