“Water sw open”. Raypak 266 digital.

Ya I read that thanks. It’s the first hit in google. The question is answered by an appliance repair guy that just googled possible answers. Lol.
Raypak says “check to make sure there are no obstructions. Clean skimmer and pump basket and filter”. That’s not the issue here. I am clean. water is moving thru the system at 60gpm like always.

Ok. I’ve been working on it for the last hour. I unpowered it and powered back on.

if the heater is in “Remote mode”. It will fire up even if my automation isn’t calling for heat. I have even gone so far as to unhook my automation and it still fires up even know there is no call for heat.

Manual mode, it is functioning as normal.

I am confused. Are you past the "water switch open" problem and the heater is running?

Describe your current problem.

Reactions: steevo
When I came around the corner to my heater this morning I could hear the electronic ignition trying to start every few seconds. Pump was not running because I had it turned off. The display was alternating “no demand” and “water sw open”.

I unplugged the heater

When I plugged the heater back in, “water sw open” was gone. I turned pump on circulate but made sure heat was off On my controller. The heater kicked into “spark” and fired up even know my controller was not calling for heat. I powered heater off and disconnected the 2 wire connection to the controller. Again, when I powered heater on, it fired up.

I switched heater from “remote” to “manual” and the heater functions as it should. In my opinion when Heater is on “remote” mode, the heater is always acting like there is a call for heat.

When I came around the corner to my heater this morning I could hear the electronic ignition trying to start every few seconds. Pump was not running because I had it turned off. The display was alternating “no demand” and “water sw open”.

That was what would be expected with the pump not running. “water sw open” means there is no water flow which there was not.

I unplugged the heater

No reason to do that. Just turn on the pump.

When I plugged the heater back in, “water sw open” was gone. I turned pump on circulate but made sure heat was off On my controller. The heater kicked into “spark” and fired up even know my controller was not calling for heat. I powered heater off and disconnected the 2 wire connection to the controller. Again, when I powered heater on, it fired up.

Where did you disconnect the 2 wire "firemans switch"?

I switched heater from “remote” to “manual” and the heater functions as it should. In my opinion when Heater is on “remote” mode, the heater is always acting like there is a call for heat.

So that says you need to open up the heater and see what is going on with the 2 wire connection there. It sounds like the 2 wires are shorted in the heater. Maybe a critter got inside and chewed the wire.

alw22. I am 99% sure you solved the problem. The 2 wire from my controller was too short in 2018 when I installed it so I spliced it. I cut the wire before the splice and the problem of it wanting to fire up had stopped. My multimeter is at work but I suspect that splice is bad and maybe a strand is poking thru. Thanks so much. Will follow up when I repair and test. Raining here now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
alw22. I am 99% sure you solved the problem. The 2 wire from my controller was too short in 2018 when I installed it so I spliced it. I cut the wire before the splice and the problem of it wanting to fire up had stopped. My multimeter is at work but I suspect that splice is bad and maybe a strand is poking thru. Thanks so much. Will follow up when I repair and test. Raining here now.

And now we have "the rest of the story". :goodjob:

Get rid of the splice and replace the 2 wire cable. Any 2 wire cable will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.