Water Softner?

Albertgarrido

May 17, 2020
Long Valley NJ
Anyone know if I can use my Water test kit to measure hardness of my water for my water softener?

I need to change a setting on my water softener but it’s asking for hardness in grains per gallon. I’m guessing if use my calcium tester but I don’t know if that’s all that’s testing for hardness.

That will only test for calcium hardness but not magnesium hardness. You want to test for total hardness (calcium + magnesium) and then covert ppm into grains per gallon. You can check out fish tank supplies as reef tanks need to have specific hardness levels for healthy coral. Or you can check your local water utility website for a water quality report where they will list the general hardness of the water supply.

Taylor does make a total hardness indicator that is very similar to the CH indicator in your test kit but you'd have to wait a really long time for delivery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.