Water return on "filter" mode extremely weakens after 1.5 hrs, but perfectly fine on "recirculate" mode.

Jun 12, 2018
NJ
Short Video:

Description: Water return is perfectly fine on "recirculate" mode for hours on end (5 PSI), but on "filter" mode (when it actually runs through the sand media) it starts out strong (9 PSI), but gets extremely weak after 1.5 hrs of running (14 PSI). This started happening after opening the pool for the season, as it was working fine at the end of last season. The pool is full, and blue (no visible algae), just cloudy, and it's basically debris free (I'm still vacuuming to pick up whatever minor debris is left at the bottom).

What I've done: I've checked my connections, checked for leaks, checked for debris all throughout the system, including the laterals inside the filter tank (found no debris), cleaned the mesh at the bottom of the six-way valve, backwashed numerous times and rinsed afterwards, replaced 2/3 of the sand (nothing visibly noticeable in 1 yr old sand), check sand level, even used a neighbor's same model pump (with my filter tank) but got the same results, which leads me to believe the issue is somewhere in the filter. Lastly, I've also checked my chemicals (Chlorine 5, pH 7.5, CYA slowly raising it to 30).

What I've noticed: When I turn off the pump for even 5 seconds, and restart it, it starts strong again.

What I'm working with: Intex Above Ground Pool 22x52, Intex 2800gph Sand Filter Pump SF70110-1.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Happy Memorial Day.

You have algae, whether you can see it or not.. And cloudy means algae..

The algae clogs the filter.. It will keep doing this until you fix the algae problem. You have a chemical problem, not a filter problem. The filter is doing what it is being paid to do..

I suggest that you read through our Pool School and this Link .. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to see what we are all about..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'll take the advice of Jim, and others in this site to SLAM the pool and backwash the filter constantly until I get rid of the algae. Hopefully then, the filter will run smoothly again.

I may have to leave the filter on "recirculate" overnight.

After taking Jim's advice, I am back in business.

I did the SLAM process and after a lot of liquid chlorine, and a lot of backwashing and rinsing the filter, the pool cleared up and the overnight test shows no FC loss. Most importantly, the filter runs like it's supposed to.

In summary, the pool was blue, but cloudy, which meant there was algae in it, which clogged the filter. SLAM + backwashing = success.

Thanks again, @Jimrahbe

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.