Water level drops when manually priming pump

jigjoe

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hi guys. I just recently bought an older house with an underground pool. I've never owned a pool before so my knowledge on service and maintenance is very limited but, I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos which has helped. So my issue is that I went to take the filter out to clean it for the first time and I also cleaned the basket right before the pump. I tried using a garden hose to fill the pump and prime it before putting the lid on but, the water level would not fill up. I have a three way valve on the suction side with a drain line connection and a skimmer connection. At first, I thought the water was just going back into the pool or something but then I saw a video of a guy priming a pump for a pool with the same exact setup as me and he filled his pump to the top and it stayed there..

Possibly related issue here as well. I always have to bleed air out from the top of the filter cartridge every time I start the pump. Is that normal?

Thanks

What you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal to me. Unless there is a valve, or check-valve, between the pump and the pool, most pumps will drain back into the pool as soon as you open the lid. Just like taking your finger off the end of a straw will let the water out of the bottom of the straw. The question is.. when you put the lid back on and fire up the pump, does the pump prime within a minute or so? If so, then you are good to go.

Thanks guys. I will try and add that info

*one unrelated question I have is that I recently tried using the pool vacuum and I noticed the pressure on the gauge drops to 0. I still see flow going through the jets so it seems like its doing fine but, I wanted to see whether or not this would hurt the pump/motor in any way.

Having the pressure gauge at 0 psi is not a problem. My pressure gauge is always at 0 when my variable speed pump is running at low rpm. As long as water is flowing and the pump sounds "normal" it is fine.

If I knew more about your pool, pump and equipment I might be able to better help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.