Water level after pool closed

Hi All,

I will be closing the pool this weekend and have a few questions.

1) We have a high water table, once the pool company closes the pool would it be recommended to fill the pool back up? IF so to normal levels? or how high? When we opened for first time in the spring, liner was floating. (High water table / holes in liner (since patched). liner reset with exception of 1 wrinkle across pool ( 20 feet)

2) We have a safety cover, however our neighbours have large trees, can i put water bags around the perimeter to prevent leaves from entering the pool. Can i put the bags on the safety cover edge to prevent any lifting with wind or should i just place them in front of the cover?

Current levels. (vinyl liner). Any adjustments? Pool company wanted a water sample 2 weeks before closing. I ignored as they would have tried to sell chemicals

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 50
CYA 30

Thanks,

Greetings. Just so you know, its a bit early to actually close with the warmer temps of late...I assume you're trying to beat the leaves, but if you read through TFP closing sticky posts, you'll see we recommend closing and opening when water is below 60 degrees.

With that said, I'm in Michigan and when I closed (eg 3rd week of Oct) I used duck plugs with a skimmer bottle after blowing out the lines and actually left my water high for pressure against water table - so didn't drop it at all.

That's how the techs who built the pool did it, specifically due to the water table.
I suspect that's your best method too.

And yes, no harm in using water bladders to keep leaves from getting under the cover.

Thanks Swampwoman.

Unfortunately this is my only time to be able to close. I am gone for the next 4 weekends and want to be present for the closing, this way I can do it myself next year. Leaves are going to be a big pain, and now without a solar cover (all bubbles were coming off in water) do not want the major headache of cleaning on a daily basis.

I plan to run the pump 24/7 over the next few days. Night time if supposed to get cool around here over the next few days, this will help to bring down the temp a bit, but still not the recommended below 60. I digress, not much I can do.

With all the plugs in and skimmer bottle in, any worries with the water inside the skimmer and freezing. I know nothing will be in the pipes, but is there any risk to ice causing issues in the skimmer and the bottle? I assume not if you are doing this in Michigan.

Thanks again

The skimmer bottle prevents freeze damage by expanding and contracting accordingly. The tactic is to prevent freeze damage.

Are you going to bring your FC up to SLAM Process levels, then let it drop a day or so before the close? That's the best way to aim for still having some FC when you open. If you open early, you might be in luck!

Two winters ago I learned the hard way just using a skimmer bottle / gizzmo alone isn't good enough. The pool company that closes also fills our skimmers with antifreeze but we got enough rain after closing that it washed out some of the antifreeze and re-filled the skimmer with water just coming in through the skimmer cover. The resulting ice managed to crack one of our skimmers even with a gizzmo in there. Last year in addition to the gizzmo I added a 1/2 gallon milk bottle with some rocks to weigh it down and cut a cheap pool noddle and filled in the remaining space.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.