Water leaking from Sand Filter S180T Discharge Outlet when in Closed, Recirculate position

kkcahdcakcyt

May 23, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a house with an above ground pool and am trying to get it running for the first time. I've never owned a pool but am learning a lot from this site.
Finally got the water level to above the return and noticed that water was leaking from the backwash/discharge outlet of the sand filter. I had the S180T in the Closed position. I tried Recirculate and Winter but still had water leaking. I left it in Filter and it seems to leak the least.

When I have time this weekend I am going to plug up the return jet and see if I can open the multiport valve and inspect the spring and gaskets.

Anyone got pointers?

Thanks for the ideas. I'll take a look at all of these today/weekend and investigate spider gasket replacement in the mean time.,

EDIT: It appears, according to InyoPools, that the whole diverter must be replaced not just the spider gasket. I'll need to get in there and take a look.
Diverter w/ Spider Gasket

Last edited:
Running the pump with the valve in "Closed" position creates a "deadhead" condition that can, at the very least, blow out gaskets and seals. Very dangerous.
Good to know! My water level just got up to the skimmer today. I plan to try turning on the pump after work. I am still "opening" my pool.

I'm finding all the odd things the previous owner did and the parts that are missing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.