Water high

Jbartels

Jul 7, 2022
San Antonio, TX
Hello,

I noticed that over the weekend the water is higher than normal. I can't figure out where this drains out of but seems like we have an overflow pipe. Any ideas of why its not draining? Maybe clogged?

Also I am cleaning the pool from leaves getting in there. Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks,
-jb

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 16
That's your autofill basin, which automatically adds water to pool. It's likely broken and definitely needs a cover. The float may be issue, perhaps jammed with debris? It works just like a toilet - the float is down, adding water. Once water level floats it high enough, it levers the valve closed.

If you have a working overflow, you might be in for a rather shocking water bill as the autofill could have been continuously running, while the overflow gets dumped.

jb,

Is the water higher than that open pipe?

The height of the pipe determines the max height of the pool water.

If the water level is higher than the pipe it has to be clogged or maybe just full..

A lot of cheap pool builders just run the pipe to a pit with some rocks in it. It should go to free air.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That's your autofill basin, which automatically adds water to pool. It's likely broken and definitely needs a cover. The float may be issue, perhaps jammed with debris? It works just like a toilet - the float is down, adding water. Once water level floats it high enough, it levers the valve closed.

If you have a working overflow, you might be in for a rather shocking water bill as the autofill could have been continuously running, while the overflow gets dumped.

I have a funny feeling that the overflow is running all the time because the last two months we have had an large water bill. I thought it was due to our new grass or kids taking longer showers.

jb,

Is the water higher than that open pipe?

The height of the pipe determines the max height of the pool water.

If the water level is higher than the pipe it has to be clogged or maybe just full..

A lot of cheap pool builders just run the pipe to a pit with some rocks in it. It should go to free air.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, the water is higher than pipe. If its clogged any ideas how to unclog it? I can't find the end so maybe the dirt/mulch is covering it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.