Water from the creek is flowing! Question about sand filter pump for Intex 16x32

oimamlion

May 19, 2019
Sabula, Iowa
Our new Intex 16x32 rectangular ABG pool is UP! So as not to risk stressing our well, we decided to pump from our creek. We have a sump pump in a bucket in the creek with a garden hose running to the pool. At the moment, we just have a duda filter on the end of the hose. The water looks clear coming out, but is definitely cloudy and a little dirty. We'd like to run the water through the sand filter pump but are unsure which inlet to attach it to and what setting the pump should be on. It is the Intex 2650 sand filter. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

I don't know if you could feed the garden hose into the Intex pump and sand filter without starving the pump. You could draw directly from the creek using the pump and sand filter, but I think the way you are doing now is best. You can get a very fine filtering bag from Duda diesel or Slimebag that should capture most of the silt from the creek. You could get a longer section of intake hose and hang it over the side instead of connecting it to the pool inlet, then you can start filtering the water as the pool fills. I would attach the pump inlet hose to a manual vacuum cleaner head with the pole attached and use a bungee cord to keep the pole from slipping under the water once you have at least 6" of water in the pool. Connect the filter outlet to the pool as normal. Fill the sand filter vessel and the pump strainer pot with water to prime before turning it on. Keep an eye on the pump until it has worked all the air out of the system. When the water is close to the height of the pump inlet, turn off the pump and set the sand filter to closed. Connect the pump inlet hose to the pump and disconnect the inlet hose from the vacuum. You will loose a little water during the process. Continue filling the pool. Once the inlet is submerged turn the pump back on and start balancing the water. You can add a large jug of plain, unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid to the pool once the pump is running.

Unplug the pump first. Then disconnect the hose that goes from the pump to the filter. Then figure out how to attach the garden hose to the hose coming out of the filter.

Creek>sump pump>garden hose>adaptor>original hose>filter>pool

You'll be using your intex filter, just not your intex pump. If you can set the filter up on something so it gravity feeds down into the pool I think the sump pump will have an easier time.

Unplug the pump first. Then disconnect the hose that goes from the pump to the filter. Then figure out how to attach the garden hose to the hose coming out of the filter.

You'll be using your intex filter, just not your intex pump. If you can set the filter up on something so it gravity feeds down into the pool I think the sump pump will have an easier time.

Thank you! This helped and we are now running through the sand filter and a duda filter. Thanks for the elevation tip. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't know if you could feed the garden hose into the Intex pump and sand filter without starving the pump. You could draw directly from the creek using the pump and sand filter, but I think the way you are doing now is best. You can get a very fine filtering bag from Duda diesel or Slimebag that should capture most of the silt from the creek. You could get a longer section of intake hose and hang it over the side instead of connecting it to the pool inlet, then you can start filtering the water as the pool fills. I would attach the pump inlet hose to a manual vacuum cleaner head with the pole attached and use a bungee cord to keep the pole from slipping under the water once you have at least 6" of water in the pool. Connect the filter outlet to the pool as normal. Fill the sand filter vessel and the pump strainer pot with water to prime before turning it on. Keep an eye on the pump until it has worked all the air out of the system. When the water is close to the height of the pump inlet, turn off the pump and set the sand filter to closed. Connect the pump inlet hose to the pump and disconnect the inlet hose from the vacuum. You will loose a little water during the process. Continue filling the pool. Once the inlet is submerged turn the pump back on and start balancing the water. You can add a large jug of plain, unscented bleach or chlorinating liquid to the pool once the pump is running.

So, we are up and running with water from sump to sand filter and into pool after going through a duda bag. We are not using the Intex pump at all. The sump is doing all the work.

So, the pool is filling great. We may try tomorrow to get the filter up higher. We tried a bit today, but SO heavy! At what point do I start adding chemicals? The original plan was to wait until it was full and add CYA, but it's going to take days to fill and I'm worried about the water going whack with algae or something while we wait. However, I wasn't sure if we could add anything now given we can't really run the water through the filter since it's already in use. Any ideas or suggestions?

Raising the filter should not make any difference. Any advantage gained from the filter to the pool is lost on the way up to the filter.

I would suggest that you set up the filter for normal operation and just fill directly into the pool or into the skimmer so that the skimmer is getting pool water and fill water.

You can add liquid chlorine and brush the pool to mix.

Last edited:
Raising the filter should not make any difference. Any advantage gained from the filter to the pool is lost on the way up to the filter.

You can add liquid chlorine and brush the pool to mix.

Thank you, James. I do have liquid chlorine. Should I try to guess how much water is in the pool currently and use Pool Math to calculate? Does CYA have to wait until it's full? I know that it takes some time to dissolve...

Just estimate the volume and add the liquid chlorine.

I think that you can set the filter for normal operation and begin balancing.

Fill directly into the pool or into the skimmer if you like.

Edit- You might need to get full to make the skimmer work.

Just finish filling like you are then begin normal operation. Add some liquid chlorine and brush to mix.

Just estimate the volume and add the liquid chlorine.

I think that you can set the filter for normal operation and begin balancing.

Fill directly into the pool or into the skimmer if you like.

Edit- You might need to get full to make the skimmer work.

Just finish filling like you are then begin normal operation. Add some liquid chlorine and brush to mix.

Will start adding chlorine here shortly. Can I start with CYA using the sock method, or best to wait until the pool is filled? It's probably going to take 3-4 more days. We are probably nearing 4,000 gallons out of 14,000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.