Water Exchange Question

wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
I'm in the middle of a water exchange due to high CYA. Heated pool to 90 degrees to make sure I've got enough of a split in temperature. Have the new water on the floor in the 8 foot deep end and a submersible pump on the second step in the shallow. Cut the fresh water down to match the pump (pool cover pump) speed @212 gallons/hr. Exchanging approx 13k gallons comes to about 62 hours which is a ridiculous amount of time even though homeowners are away and pool isn't being used. I would like to switch out the pump to something twice if not more fast as long as the fresh water has the volume to keep up.
Can I do this if I'm careful not to upset the water and continue on with my better faster option ??
Thanks in advance,
Allan

No reason it won't work. You are going to see some mixing in the deep end if you get the velocity too high. Exchanging water is not an exact science anyway. I'd worry that the pumps are not up to the job. Having one fail unattended would be ugly.

I know @JoyfulNoise has run his exchange at fairly high rates. His thread is in the wiki. My sump pump runs at about 7 gpm and get a pretty good displacement. Salt water helps too.

Also have the option to possibly drop a twin of that with a second hose to achieve 2x pump out.
Can you go with a larger hose / sprinkler pipe ? This is what I always did.

I have a 3/4 HP sub pump that I made hard pipe connections for (1-1/2” sch40 pvc). The hard pipe runs from the pump up 8ft to the deck then out horizontally 8ft to another 100’ of 1-1/2” discharge hose. I can get 23 GPM out of that setup.

why don’t you just rent a gas powered trash pump a s drain the pool in an hour or two then fill back up overnight? Are you worried about floating it?

why don’t you just rent a gas powered trash pump a s drain the pool in an hour or two then fill back up overnight? Are you worried about floating it?
This is a vinyl pool with a fairly large baja deck. I'm not convinced the liner won't slip without the water and I don't want the responsibility of it happening. I rather take the long road and not worry. This is brand new non SWG and the pool company loaded up the CYA. I think it was done second time by mistake via a second crew.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.