Water cloudy....help!

skyfly27

Apr 5, 2021
Springfield Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
My water became cloudy and not sure what to do. I was testing my water daily with a Taylor 2006 test kit and keeping my numbers perfect. Then I had to study for my board exam and slacked on the pool big time because it looked clear. Last night my chorine tested at 0 so I added the recommended amount of chlorine based on the TFP app. The water appeared to be clear last night, but after adding the chlorine it became cloudy. Here is a full set of my test results from today.

FC 2.5
CC 2.5
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 170
CYA 30

18,000 K gunite, sand filter. I originally had high CYA levels, so did a partial drain twice and level now down to 30. I only use liquid chlorine and usually test daily until I messed it up. I was confused as to how my pool looked cloudy, so I took a sample into the pool store. They said my phosphates were high and gave me two bottles of "no phos". After purchasing the bottles and getting home I realized they cannot be returned ($80), and trouble free pool recommended two different ones instead of what the pool stores sell. I would like to not throw away $80 and use this one time if it will help (will switch to the recommended next time). Here are the results. I should also add we would love to swim tomorrow, so don't want to make it worse if I need to wait a day to treat.

FC 0.42
Total chlorine 3.85
pH 7.3
TA 100
CH 156
CYA 32
iron 0
phosphates 1361
copper 0.5
TDS 350

What should I do to clear this up? I was working on lowering my TA before the water started getting cloudy.

Your test results show a CC of 2.5, is that correct?
Do not use the phosphate stuff. It will make the pool even cloudier. It is cheap clarifier. You can sell it or use it at the end of the season.
Raise your FC to SLAM level based on your CYA. That would be 12 ppm FC.

Yes, that is correct. Yikes! I'm guessing my lack of checking everyday I am starting to grow algae I just can't see it yet? I just raised by FC to 12. How often should I check it and how long should I keep the FC that high? Also, do I not need to do anything with the phosphate level? What should I do with the "no phos" at the end of the season?

Check the FC every few hours and add chlorine as needed.

Phosphates are of no consequence to water chemistry if it is maintained properly.

Just a suggest to use it up as you wished. If it makes a mess, at least your are not cutting into swimming time dealing with it.

Check the FC every few hours and add chlorine as needed.

Phosphates are of no consequence to water chemistry if it is maintained properly.

Just a suggest to use it up as you wished. If it makes a mess, at least your are not cutting into swimming time dealing with it.
That makes sense. Thanks! How long do I need to maintain the FC 12? Just until the water is clear again? Then I can go back to normal levels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.