Water boatman but algae extremely unlikely

Wirides

Jul 22, 2020
NE Wisconsin
For the past two days I've seen a handful of water boatman alive in the pool and a few in the skimmer. Based on my reading they are a sign of algae. I don't believe that's the case in my pool because they showed up right after a hard rain for most of the weekend but I had my chlorine level elevated since we were out of town for the weekend. It was 11 when I left town Fri morning and 9 when I got home Sunday. Cya 45. Water is clear and I've been religiously keeping chlorine level on the high side of normal, literally never dipped. All other levels are perfect since I'm somewhat obsessive about them. So my question is, why are they around and how do I evict them?

Last edited:
I just removed 3 from my pool a few hours ago.
They feed on algae but it doesn't mean you have algae. I get them every year for around a month in June. Same time too, usually around 11am.
My fc / cya always maintained at appropriate levels. Fc: 6-8. Cya: 50

Net them out and release in the front yard is my suggestion. If you release near the pool they might fly right back in. Had one actually do that.

Last edited:
They are fast little buggers, hard to net. I've just been killing the ones in the skimmer sock and the couple I've netted. I also plan to shock tomorrow evening after the swimming is done for the day since it will be cool the following two days. Any way to kill them all off immediately?

I read here that you can kill them by putting a very small amount of dish soap in the pool. They breathe air, and rely on surface tension to trap air in their fibers which they breathe while swimming. They don't realize they haven't trapped air, and therefore drown.

yep, throw a cup of dawn dish soap into the pool, it will break the water tension and they die from downing :)

I do it every year when I see more than 2 of them...

Reactions: DustyD
I have 15,000 gallons and I start with a cup and check in 24 hours, if they are still alive add another cup.. I just add it into the skimmer and clean my skimmer while I am there, dawn cleans the scum layer really good..

It has never foamed on me except the first time and I poured about half a gallon in... and when I say foam there were some bubbles if you splashed or jumped in the pool.. it goes away after a couple days...

It is just enough to break the surface tension on the water so they can not skip or breath in it... :)

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I checked again last night and there weren't any in the skimmer and I only saw one alive. I'm hoping they moved on, which would also confirm my thoughts on not having any algae for them. If they are still around war will be declared!! War I say!

• Haha
Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.