Water and Algae in Light Fixture

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Water is designed to flow behind the light bulb into that "niche" you are referring to. The water helps to keep the bulb cool and actually flows up through the conduit back to the equipment pad equal to the pool water level. Periodically, owners have to remove the light fixture and clean-out that niche well because the certainly can harbor algae. Sometimes leaving te bulb out and on teh pool deck for a day or two makes a big difference.

As long as the break to the bulb is off, there is no danger. The bulb is just filling the cavity.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! I'm not sure I understand yet -- is the niche the "hole" in the pool wall or the metal part of the light fixture that houses the bulb? It's the latter that has water. I will post a photo.

The niche is the cavity behind the entire light fixture (in the pool shell). The light bulb fixure itself should not have any water inside.

full

With power cut to the fixture, you are safe. With a standard incondescent light fixture, you may need to run the wire from the new fixture back to the equipment pad like in this video IF the entire fixture is determined to be bad:

If you are able to simply replace the bulb, it should look more like this video:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.