Jul 25, 2011
Durant, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello and TIA!
I will add a pic of the wiring. Pool light didn’t work, found “box”, and the pool light has been unwired. I’m assuming it went bad, and they just unwired it. Assuming is the huge word, as I have no idea. We bought the house over the winter, and I’m just now SLAMming and starting my detective work. There is one connection in the box that is live, I’m again “assuming” to the gfci outlet. Both this junction box and a gfci outlet are located in a half bath, right by the pool. Gfci outlet works fine, tests and resets fine. What would you do first? Reconnect the wiring and see if maybe just the bulb is out and they didn’t know how to replace the bulb? Assume the entire unit is bad and run a whole new fixture? Last picture shows the light in the pool, the switch on the brick wall attached to the bathroom where the box and gfci is.

Attachments

• IMG_9756.jpeg
    IMG_9756.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9758.jpeg
    IMG_9758.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9754.jpeg
    IMG_9754.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello and TIA!
I will add a pic of the wiring. Pool light didn’t work, found “box”, and the pool light has been unwired. I’m assuming it went bad, and they just unwired it. Assuming is the huge word, as I have no idea. We bought the house over the winter, and I’m just now SLAMming and starting my detective work. There is one connection in the box that is live, I’m again “assuming” to the gfci outlet. Both this junction box and a gfci outlet are located in a half bath, right by the pool. Gfci outlet works fine, tests and resets fine. What would you do first? Reconnect the wiring and see if maybe just the bulb is out and they didn’t know how to replace the bulb? Assume the entire unit is bad and run a whole new fixture? Last picture shows the light in the pool, the switch on the brick wall attached to the bathroom where the box and gfci is.
You need to find out how to turn the power to that line off. You can then hook the light up and give it a try. You need a switch in a pool-light circuit as well as a gfci.
That is not a true pool junction box. There may have been one, but if that half-bath was an addition, it is possible that it was built over the j-box area and that the gfci was included in the bath's electrical.
A bad pool light would trip it and cause issues in the bath and would be disconnected.
Have seen that scenario a couple of times. Once the bath was built over the j-box. The pool light went bad and the only way to replace it would be to tear up the bathroom flooring to access under the house. They live without a pool light.

You need to find out how to turn the power to that line off. You can then hook the light up and give it a try. You need a switch in a pool-light circuit as well as a gfci.
That is not a true pool junction box. There may have been one, but if that half-bath was an addition, it is possible that it was built over the j-box area and that the gfci was included in the bath's electrical.
A bad pool light would trip it and cause issues in the bath and would be disconnected.
Have seen that scenario a couple of times. Once the bath was built over the j-box. The pool light went bad and the only way to replace it would be to tear up the bathroom flooring to access under the house. They live without a pool light.
Thank you!

I’ve done a bit more digging into what all is connected with the wiring. When the gfci outlet is tripped, nothing in this box is live. The pool light switch (on the outside wall) is also dead when tripped. When reset, the light switch is hot, and one black wire in the box. Would it be best/safest to add a blank face gfci to this junction box? Or would the fact that it’s already attached to an outlet gfci mess it up? Attaching same pics again for ease.

Attachments

• IMG_9758.jpeg
    IMG_9758.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9756.jpeg
    IMG_9756.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 3
I’ve done a bit more digging into what all is connected with the wiring. When the gfci outlet is tripped, nothing in this box is live. The pool light switch (on the outside wall) is also dead when tripped. When reset, the light switch is hot, and one black wire in the box. Would it be best/safest to add a blank face gfci to this junction box? Or would the fact that it’s already attached to an outlet gfci mess it up? Attaching same pics again for ease.
You don't need a second GFCI in the circuit.

Reactions: RTamanda