Lutron Caseta & LED Pool Light Bulb Switch Question?

slappywhite

Apr 21, 2024
Texas
Hello! I have a Life-Bulb LED pool light bulb that works fine with a regular on off switch. I use the remote to turn the bulb on and off, change colors, etc. I have to use the remote very close to the switch because it uses the RF signal from the remote to send the signal through the wiring between the switch and the light to complete the transmission of the signal. This is normal documented behavior, but wanted to share that detail.

The issue is this: when I installed a Lutron Caseta on off smart switch, the switch turns on and off, but the LED bulb doesn't turn on at all, even with the remote. I had a similar issue with a cheaper LED bulb with a Lutron Caseta Dimmer switch, but instead of the light not working at all, it would flicker through the colors like a slow strobe light. Once I replaced the Lutron Caseta Dimmer with a regular on off switch, it worked fine. I did some research and it seemed that if I replaced the smart dimmer with just a smart on/off switch, it should work with the LED bulb, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a way to use one of these fancy LED pool light bulbs with Lutron Caseta smart switches? Anyone have luck doing this? I can go back to incandescent, but would really like to avoid the 500W bulb energy use.

Last edited: