May 22, 2021
Enfield, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

Newbie here. We have a 28ft, 18,500 gallon above ground vinyl pool. I opened on Saturday and have been attempting clean it out in the past couple days. I've added some chlorine just at the beginning and some conditioner based on advice I saw before my test kit came in. My K-2006C kit came in, so here are my test results:

FC: 7.64
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 40
CYA: 30

I am looking for some guidance on what's next. I have a pretty cloudy pool still, and have stocked up on enough liquid chlorine to do a SLAM, I just don't want to do that if it isn't necessary. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I am in there now getting the leaves out too :)

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the forum!
Great job in purchasing a quality test kit.
Cloudy water typically means it is time to follow the SLAM Process. If you like, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to see what that data says.
For future FC testing, use a 10 ml water sample, one rounded scoop of R0870 powder, and each drop of R0871 reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Cloudy water typically means it is time to follow the SLAM Process. If you like, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to see what that data says.
For future FC testing, use a 10 ml water sample, one rounded scoop of R0870 powder, and each drop of R0871 reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
Thank you, I will do a FC test tonight and again in the morning. I’ve read through it and purchased the recommended chemicals as well. Learning one day at a time :)

Tame that pool water. You are the boss! That kit is going to keep you on the straight and narrow path to perfect water. Once you get over this hump you will always be on top of it!

Tame that pool water. You are the boss! That kit is going to keep you on the straight and narrow path to perfect water. Once you get over this hump you will always be on top of it!
That’s what I’m most excited about. Knowing how to get it perfect and keep it there. Not just relying on dumping copious amounts of chlorine in there and praying for a miracle.

Reactions: Oly and Newdude
Hey Nicholas and Welcome !!! I am officially challenging you to earn a spot in this thread

(Don't worry we'll help every step of the way)

Its good to read an owner ready to jump in and get on it!

Hey Nicholas and Welcome !!! I am officially challenging you to earn a spot in this thread

(Don't worry we'll help every step of the way)
Challenge absolutely accepted.

Welcome to the forum!
Decided to just SLAM last night and got it too 12 FC before going to sleep. Woke up today, and the level was at 8, so I am losing about 4 FC a night. Brought it back to 12 and am monitoring to keep it up there until I meet the criteria.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update! Wanted to give everyone an update and thank you very much, for the assistance. Been slamming during this time until I could pass overnight test. Finally did this morning, and continued vacuuming and brushing. So satisfying knowing that I did the work to get it here. Here's an update shot.View attachment 343411
Nicholas, Way to go! By the way what ladder do you have there. Need one just like it, Thanks Allan.

Reactions: Nicholasboiss
I thought it was 2 spoons r0870 even when doing 10 ml sample?

I just reread it and not seeing it say only one.

Just wondering if I've been doing it wrong these years.
Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.