VSP pump running and stopping randomly

Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,

I am having some trouble with my Pentair VSP pump. I am not sure if it is the iaqualink system or the pump. The pump has been randomly turning on and off while it is supposed to be running. There is power to the pump and the jandy panel says it should be running. I have not been able to get the iaqualink to connect to the system so I am not sure if there is a problem with the iaqualink communicating the the pump or the pump itself. The whole system is pretty old at this point - 8 yrs old. I had the aqualink and upgraded to iaqualink quite a few yrs ago when I upgraded to a Pentair VSP.

This weekend I pushed the wall panel buttons to turn on the spa and the pump turned on for that and ran for a while but then shut off randomly 20-30min later. The whole system has run flawlessly since I set it up.

I have not tried to manually start the pump. All of the lights are on the iaqualink receiver so I am not sure why I cannot connect. I usually use my Apple computer for that. I cannot connect from my iphone. From the computer it says the device is online and working properly but then says "waiting for connection" forever.

What do you all think? Thanks!! - Dan

You may want to clarify what iAquaLink system you have as you mentioned it is 8 yrs old and what upgrade did you do. Post a picture of the control panel and the outside control box. Do you have an antenna on it. Do you have a PDA or just use your Apple Computer?

Also, can you post a picture of how you have your pump scheduled for a 24 hr picture.

Also asking @PoolGate to look at your requests.

The remote link is the iq900 (the blue one). I replaced the motherboard at the same time with the upgraded version that would allow the iq900 to work and control a VSP pump. The pump runs 1000rpm 6a-12p, 1500rpm 12p-8p 1200 rpm 8p-10p. I just went out tonight and everything is running fine. It stopped several times this weekend. I tried to find the receipt but it is gone. I have my welcome to iaqualink email from 2/3/2014 so that is when I did it. I do not have a PDA, just the push button wall mount inside that is from 2006.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the pictures and info. There are three versions of iAQualink - an older version called iAqualink IQ900 and a version called iAqualink 2.0 or IQ-20, and a new for 2021 iAqualink 3.0. The new iAqualink 3.0 has a newer radio transceiver with all the same functionality of the 2.0 version but the website claims that the 3.0 version has better support for mesh WiFi routers as version 2.0 had some issues connecting to them.

It would be good to know what revision your PCB is. My guess is Rev R which came out in 2012. You may be able to confirm that by going to your settings function and look for software revision info using your wall mount unit.

This is good link for all info on Jandy Automation

You may want to check your wiring where your panel and the VS pump connect to the board using that RED connector at top of board. Ensure the wires are not frayed or have come loose.

Your antenna looks a little worn out so that may be an issue regarding your connection to phone & to your Apple computer, but once your pump schedule is set it is stored in memory and the antenna does not affect it (unless you want to change the schedule). So for sure, a new antenna may be required.

I have the most recent PCB (Rev T.2) and 3.0 antenna so I am not sure how your schedule looks on your PC when you login to IAquaLink. Maybe you can screen shot it. Below is an example
Pool Schedule.png

I definitely have rev r - I remember that from when I bought it. I have not changed anything with our home wifi in several years and have a repeater next to it. I will check out the wire situation - that is a good possibility. The antennae is in bad shape but it has been looking like that for a few years now - it came apart in a hurricane - probably 2019. My programming screen looks just like yours - or pretty close anyway. I can't get it to pull up though.

I definitely have rev r - I remember that from when I bought it. I have not changed anything with our home wifi in several years and have a repeater next to it. I will check out the wire situation - that is a good possibility. The antennae is in bad shape but it has been looking like that for a few years now - it came apart in a hurricane - probably 2019. My programming screen looks just like yours - or pretty close anyway. I can't get it to pull up though.
It is definitely a bad antenna or wiring that is preventing you from accessing the settings via phone or computer. I think everything goes to a Jandy cloud server and then you access that cloud to see your schedule, etc. Since Jandy does not provide an ethernet connection to the automation system, you rely on that antenna to connect the PCB to the cloud and for the user to access the settings and information of your system. Only your wall unit can talk to the automation system directly as it is connected to that RED comm port.

One idea is to disconnect the RS485 wire between your PCB and the pump. Then set the pump directly using the touch screen. The current display has "Display not Active" because it is connected to that RED comm port as well on the PCB. If you disconnect it you can manually set the pump if you so desire.

A new antennae is on the way. I removed the wires to the PCB and trimmed back to fresh copper and reinserted and tightened everything up and that seems to have helped. The pump has functioned properly today and I have been able to connect from the computer as well. I am not sure that is all it was. I feel like I should just upgrade to the 3.0 version.

Reactions: HermanTX
Just as a reminder. There is the iQ30-A which is just the antenna only. The iQ30-RS is the total package of an antenna and the PCB with latest revision. I did the upgrade in 2021 and the cost for the iQ30-RS was about $1400 plus I had to pay for installation because that is only way to have Jandy warranty.
iAquaLink kit_6.JPEG

So right now it seems to be working. I guess a wire got loose in there. I did find the IQ30 total package for $960 on wholesale pool equipment. I usually install this stuff myself. My pool equipment always seems to wait until after the warranty expires to break - sometimes by just a week. I don't feel the added cost is worth it for a warranty that is usually an uphill fight. Thank you for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.