Baxley, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
My current (well, previous now) pump just let out the magic smoke when it went to turn on this morning, throwing the breaker and reaching skin-scalding temps within a few seconds. So, guess we're in the market for a new pump now. Looking to replace it with a more energy-efficient variable speed, so wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. Previous owners I guess didn't know that PVC unions existed, so the new pump doesn't have to be a drop-in replacement for the old one since I'll have to cut pipes anyways.

The now deceased pump is a Hayward Super Pump SP2607X10 (1HP) and the filter is a Hayward Pro Series S244T. Don't have any issue going with a higher HP pump as long as it isn't too much for the filter, and we'll likely upgrade to a bigger filter in the next few years too.

You can lower the max RPMs on a 3HP VS pump and if your filter gets bigger, you're ready to go when it does.

The irony of the VS pump is you want it bigger to move the same water as a smaller pump, with much less RPMs. So buy more pump to use less energy.

Do you have 1.5 inch or 2 inch plumbing. That may come into play as well.

If I can ever find a gasket that actually fits the lid, that part is fine. I've tried 2 or 3 different replacement gaskets and they are all too large and don't work. Also, wasn't aware that a VS could be mounted to the existing basket. I see new 1.5-1.65HP motors for around $600, but whole new pump that are 1.5-1.65HP go for around double that. Besides the basket, what else comes with the whole pump that raises the price so much? Would definitely love to save a decent bit of money just swapping out the motor itself.

1.5" PVC. Could also add a 1.5" to 2" bushing to mount a 2" pump as well.

Do you have an example of a 3HP VS? All the one's I've seen on various sites have been around 1.5-2HP range.

I think it's too big for 1.5 inch and a 62 GPM filter (which will eventually be upgraded but the underground pipes will likely stay 1.5 inch).

Hang tight for some plumbing gurus.

1.5" lines are of no concern. A VS pump is variable. Just do not run it at a high rpm. And the system is self limiting when it comes to flow rate.
Your system could use a Superflo VST or Whisperflo VST that will cost a bit less than an Intelliflo.

Search for Polytec Pools in Las Vegas. They have pumps in stock.

If I can ever find a gasket that actually fits the lid, that part is fine. I've tried 2 or 3 different replacement gaskets and they are all too large and don't work.

If you switch the motor and get the GOKIT3SALT you will get a replacement strainer cover gasket.

Would definitely love to save a decent bit of money just swapping out the motor itself.

Replacing the motor yourself will be the cheapest option. Below is a video showing the steps involved.

All the one's I've seen on various sites have been around 1.5-2HP range.

There is also a V-Green 2.7 HP motor available for the super pump housing.

Last edited:
I think it's too big for 1.5 inch and a 62 GPM filter (which will eventually be upgraded but the underground pipes will likely stay 1.5 inch).
I don't think so. The VS lets you adapt the flow to the system. I run my Intelliflo at 50gpm most of the day. It has a nice feature. You can set a global maximum speed so that you can't even accidentally exceed system capacity.

I just put in the Whisperflo VST, replacing a Whisperflo single speed 1.65 thp. So far so good. Easy to program and super quiet.

I also have 1.5” underground pipes and only a single 1.5” pipe returning to the pool. The whisperflo vst at full 3400 rpm is definitely more powerful than my old single speed. I reduced the priming speed just to make sure I wasn’t putting too much pressure in the system. I probably could have saved a few bucks and gotten the superflo in hindsight but it wasn’t worth the gamble of it not having enough power to prime properly.

I thought about vgreen but just didn’t want to have to deal with pulling apart the old pump. Now ive got it in the garage and maybe itll get used again someday in a pinch if the vst has any trouble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just put in the Whisperflo VST, replacing a Whisperflo single speed 1.65 thp. So far so good. Easy to program and super quiet.

I also have 1.5” underground pipes and only a single 1.5” pipe returning to the pool. The whisperflo vst at full 3400 rpm is definitely more powerful than my old single speed. I reduced the priming speed just to make sure I wasn’t putting too much pressure in the system. I probably could have saved a few bucks and gotten the superflo in hindsight but it wasn’t worth the gamble of it not having enough power to prime properly.

I thought about vgreen but just didn’t want to have to deal with pulling apart the old pump. Now ive got it in the garage and maybe itll get used again someday in a pinch if the vst has any trouble.
With the WhisperFlo VST, can you set a max global speed like you can with the Intelliflo? Can't seem to find anything about a max speed setting in the online manual.

I don’t think I’ve seen that as a feature, but its easy enough to achieve. The priming speed is adjustable as well as the daily schedule so if you never want it above 3000 rpm or whatever, just program it that way.

If you’re looking for some setting such that it will never allow you or anyone else to adjust the pump speed upwards past a certain safe point, i don’t think it has that. It also seems that probably is a pretty overly cautious feature. Just tell anyone else using the pool not to mess with your pump!!!!

If you’re looking for some setting such that it will never allow you or anyone else to adjust the pump speed upwards past a certain safe point, i don’t think it has that.
None of them have a permanent lock out. You just set the max speeds and your spouse/kids don't know how to undo it. (y)

Reactions: trivetman
So, from what I've gathered from responses, I should get a 2.5-3HP (is THP the same as HP?) pump, and seems that Pentair WhisperFlo VST 2.6 THP and IntelliFlo VS+ 3HP are ones that people here like? Any particular reason for one over the other?

The general idea I think is that the larger vsp’s will move more water at lower rpms where they are super quiet. Larger ones also cost more. With your old pump being 1 hp, I would think you can also look at the superflo vst. Its the smallest and least expensive from Pentair but it might be plenty for what you need to prime the system as its labeled as 1.5 hp.

Also no reason to definitely limit yourself to Pentair although the tfp crowd does seem to love pentair pumps

The Intelliflo is the gold standard of pool pumps but it comes at a price. The Superflo/Whisperflo VST are still great pumps but a step down. Then you have budget options like the Waterway and Calimar/Circupool/B&D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Decided to go with the IntelliFlo since it seems to be the most popular here, but that is on backorder until Dec at the earliest. So instead ordered a WhisperFlo VST to hopefully arrive next week. Thanks for all the information.

WhisperFlo VST installed and working great so far.

At the default low speed of 1400 RPM, my SWG is producing noticable hydrogen Bubbles. Is this cause for concern or safe enough?

Totally fine and normal. By the time they hit the returns they have been plenty diluted along the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.