My pump died. What to replace it with?

pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Our pump (which was awesome) finally died yesterday after 8+ years. I don't know the first thing about shopping for a pump so I am hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance/recommendations/info. 🤞

Our last pump was a Hayward and I think the model info has worn off over the years. I'm attaching pics of the only info I could find on it. Our pool is an inground 16 X 32. I estimate it to be about 21,000 - 23,000 gallons.

Also wondering if I should still put some chlorine in? Or should I forego it since it can't circulate?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Attachments

• 20210906_154829.jpg
    20210906_154829.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210906_154826.jpg
    20210906_154826.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 12
Put the same amount of chlorine in per day or even a little more than normal.. brush the pool afterwards and it will be just fine..

Did you replace the motor on this pump and it went another 8 years.. if so is the pump about 15 or more years old? If that is the case I would recommend a completely new pump and a VS pump at that...

Do you have any automation or just a pump and filter? If no automation we have found a 3hp VS pump for 500 bucks.. even if it only lasts 5 years it is the cheapest VS pump out there.. I do believe it will last way longer but who knows yet as it is a new pump.. :)

It has no way of doing any automation other than the 24/7 internal clock..

If you need a pump to do automation or come on a different RPM's then grab one of these :)

Thanks for the info! The pump was here when we bought the house 8 years ago so I'm not sure how old it is. It looks ancient though so I assume I'll be replacing the whole pump.

I guess I don't need something to handle automation since I have no idea what you mean by that. 😜 Ours was just a single speed pump that we kept running 24/7. We only have a pump and filter.

Question: Would a 3HP pump be overkill since we are used to running a 1HP? Could it be too much for our filter to handle?

3 HP is a lot, so might be more than you need. That manufacture might have other HP models. If you have no automation and wish to just stick with a simple set-up, you can look at 2-speed pumps so that you can run the motor on low speed most of the time. That might give you more shopping options.

You can use any pump if you don’t have automation (a fancy computer controller box that lets you adjust the pump settings from a computer/phone). I’d still recommend a variable speed pump. Being able to dial the speed down is nice and it saves a lot of electricity and is much quieter.

You could easily run the 3hp pump at 1200 rpm and move almost the same exact amount of water for a fraction of the cost to run the VS pump... running 24/7 would cost about 15 dollars a month give or take a dollar.. :)

you could also get the 1.5 hp version for a 100 bucks cheaper.. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I went with the CaliMar 1.5HP VS pump. You just can't beat the price so I figure it's worth a try.
Sure does seem like a good deal. Be sure to check back in next season and let us know how it's performing, reliability, etc.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help! This website is the first place I turn when I'm in a panic and you guys never disappoint. :love:

I went with the CaliMar 1.5HP VS pump. You just can't beat the price so I figure it's worth a try. 🤞 Thanks for the lead on that, Cowboycasey!!
How’s the pump holding up? Considering the 3hp version

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.