VS pump recommendation

diasurfer

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 1, 2012
hi,

Until recently, my single speed pool pump has performed reliably since we bought the house in 2011. It is a 1.5 hp motor, which seems high for a 13000 gallon pool (from what I gather), but has gotten the job done. And it is still working today, but making a horrible screeching noise, and I am thinking of replacing.

I am faced with the option of replacing the motor with another single speed, or replacing with a variable speed. I have run the numbers and realize it will pay for itself in 2 years or so. I am wondering, if I go the variable speed route, which system I should select. My system currently works on a mechanical timer, and it runs 8 hours a day in summer.

I am not really interested in automation and a lot of electronics. I installed the SWG myself so have some basic skills, but am hoping for as little plumbing and electrical work as possible. But the main thing is to identify which system would best work (Hayward Super Pump VS, or something else?) with the following current set up. thanks

Miami 13K gallon In ground
Hayward Aquarite SWG
Hayward Superpump 1.5 hp
Hayward StarClearPlus C12002 Cartridge filter

Lots of choices available. May even be able to just replace the motor.

What electrical service do you have? 110V or 220V?

Check out the options at Inyopools. They have in-house brands that members are happy with along with name brands. Do be aware that some brands require professional installation for warranty.

It's 110V.

I guess the preferred simple option (one that involves only mechanical and electrical but no plumbing) would be to simply switch the motor on the Super Pump to one that is VS. But I understand they work as a package, often with impellers needing to be changed, etc. As well as electronic control of some kind. What else?

It seems that if there is a lot in addition to the motor that you're better off buying a whole new VS Super Pump. But that would have to be plumbed in, and if you're going to replace the whole thing, then there is no particular reason to stay with Hayward is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do go the VS route, be sure to check out your electrical utility’s website for rebates on variable speed pumps. Many offer $2-300 cash rebates if you replace a single speed pump.
They usually have a list of acceptable replacements, and the venerable Pentair Intelliflo 011018 3hp is always a top recommendation. I also liked my old Hayward Tristar VS 1.85hp (SP3202VSPND). I had the Hayward VS without any automation, and it was a breeze to setup and was very intuitive—I haven’t been that impressed with Pentair’s 011018 ‘intuitivity’ as just a standalone pump. Probably gonna get blow back on that statement.

Following your recommendation led to what I am looking for. I'll confirm with Inyo but seems motor package with electronics on top are all that is needed. Nice

Anyone have experience with

V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU
That is a 220V motor. Do you have 220V at your equipment pad?

I haven’t been that impressed with Pentair’s 011018 ‘intuitivity’. Probably gonna get blow back on that statement.

While I believe that Pentair makes the best pumps, they have a long way to go to make things simple to use.. Their manuals are written in "Pentair" and require a group of space aliens to translate into anything understandable.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

If you do go the VS route, be sure to check out your electrical utility’s website for rebates on variable speed pumps. Many offer $2-300 cash rebates if you replace a single speed pump.
No rebates. Thanks for Pentair recommendation if I replace the whole pump. But that is not first option at this point.

That is a 220V motor. Do you have 220V at your equipment pad?
Yes thanks for pointing that out. In spite of having installed the SWG, I don't recall whether it was 110 or 220, the my current pool pump (which I have the label in front of me) can be configured in either. I'll have to check when I get home. But I think it uses a double pole breaker so 220.

I replaced a Hayward Northstar with a Hayward Tristar VS SP3206VSP early this year.

I was lucky enough to have a local fix it pool pro do the simple install to get the "professionally installed" requirement to get a $75 rebate from Hayward. Every little bit helps.

All the "pool companies" wanted to $2000+ to put in a VS pump. The pump install and all this was done for $1100 all in with me purchasing including the professional install.

There supposedly are Hayward kits that and plastic bases that are to "line up" the new pump's inputs and outputs with the Northstar's, but none of these did the trick and my guy solved the input and output problem, and improved the intake run in about 5 minutes of surgery. Heck he is way better than I am and not expensive.

I kept my existing pool control and mounted the Tristar's panel on the wall next to my other wall-mounted pool stuff with the optional wall mount kit made for this job. Easy to do with just a bit of home depot wire and an hour's time. Looks professional and allows me to fiddle with the pump's control pad and built in timer standing up like a normal person.

This pump, and I expect most VS pumps, would work find for your simple on/off time clock. Just program the pump to it's own schedule and let the mechanical timer run it all the time. Or leave your mechanical timer as is and just program the default speeds/schedule you want. There's really no issue either way, the pump has enough smarts to do whatever you want as long as your flow switch is working for SWG.

The savings from the VS is astounding for me. I have to run long pump cycles nearly 7x24 in the summer to get the SWG to put out enough for my pool, and it does fine on a very quiet, very low speed - the pump should pay for itself in a year.

Last edited:
I've been running an Inyopool PureLine Prime 1.65 Hp VS Pump which has essentially the same motor(mine has the square flange) for around a month now and really like it. It is a little loud at high speed, but this due to the fan that cools the electronics. I don't run it at high speed much so it really isn't much of an issue.
The pump is always powered so I use a current sense relay (CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I) to ensure that my SWCG is only powered when there is water flow. The CSR switches 120v to the SWCG when the pump is running just around 600 rpm, however i can adjust that if I need to. I prefer the CSR method since it eliminate the out of sync issue with a mechanical timer

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump is always powered so I use a current sense relay (CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I) to ensure that my SWCG is only powered when there is water flow. The CSR switch 120v to the SWCG when the pump is running just around 600 rpm, however i can adjust that if I need to. I prefer the CSR method since it eliminate the out of sync issue with a mechanical timer

Moderators:
This should be a sticky somewhere in SWG forum. Much better than timers and lot safer.

Following your recommendation led to what I am looking for. I'll confirm with Inyo but seems motor package with electronics on top are all that is needed. Nice

Yes. That is what I own and it works great. Very quiet compared to the pump it replaced. I purchased the electronic control separately as it gives you the ability to turn off the pump automatic freeze protection etc. I purchased a cover so the electronics are protected from sun and rain though it doesn't say you have to. I mounted the control unit on a piece of plexiglas using 4 pieces of pvc as legs over the pump motor. Have had no problems with it.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I replaced the single-speed motor on my Hayward SuperPump with the V-Green 165. No major problems with the install. Replaced all gaskets etc but still had to run to the pool store for a new mounting plate. The old motor had melted the old one!

I problem I am having now is that I have to run the new motor at 3100 RPM to get my SWG no-flow switch to turn off. Actually, it turns off only at 3450 RPM (my old pump speed) and can maintain it off at 3100 after I lower RPMs, but 3100 is not enough to turn off the no-flow itself.

Obviously if I have to run the pump at 3400 RPM to make Chlorine, I'm not going to realize any electric bill savings over the old system.

What can I do? Is this is job for a relay like (CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I) quoted above? If running with a relay, does the no-flow switch get disabled (if that is even possible)? Because otherwise I don't see how that would be a solution.

No-flow switch was replaced with Hayward part just last October.

You should not have to run your pump at that speed to close the flow switch.

Can you post a picture of the equipment pad with shots of the flow switch, etc?

I suspect you need to inspect your cell. Either you have a blockage on the filter or the cell is all plugged up with calcium. If you have an MPV you can set it in recirculate mode, this way you will bypass the filter. If you still need to run the pump that fast then its a blockage on the cell or further down.

Reactions: Martin2003
All is well now. I replaced the filter cartridge, and cleaned the SWG cell with acid (it wasn't that bad). I was planning to do all that this weekend anyway as part of maintenance.

But I think the biggest difference is that I might not have had a good seal in the pump. Yesterday I replaced all the gaskets and I don't think I got a good seal over the basket. I noticed little air bubbles in the water coming out of the jets this morning.

Anyway, I did all of that at once, and when I powered the pump back up, I got my no-flow switch to turn off as low as 1350 RPM, which seems to be typical. Relief!

In my situation, is installing a relay to shut the SWG off simply a safety thing in the case of pump failure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.