OrtonPoodle

Jun 2, 2023
Kansas City
Hi everybody! I’m Jen and I live in Kansas City. Our vet recommended that we swim with our dogs, as a couple of them have joint issues, so we bought them an Intex, 18 x 48 above ground pool. As we speak, it’s filling, and, I don’t love it so far. It really was awful to try and get the liner even, and I still don’t feel like I understand what I’m supposed to do with chemicals, but I bought them, and a test kit so I can test the water with a little bottles of stuff. so I’m hoping to do this. I really wanted salt water, but I didn’t realize until too late that I wasn’t supposed to use salt water with that filter I have, so chemicals it is! I was glad to find this group, and I feel like I have learned a lot already.
Anyway, that’s me!

Reactions: FYRWMN
Hey OP and Welcome !!!

I really wanted salt water, but I didn’t realize until too late that I wasn’t supposed to use salt water with that filter I have, so chemicals it is!
This is all myth. Salt pools aren't what people think of when they think salt water. Salt pools are 10% of seawater salinity. Liquid chlorine dosed pools get 5% to 10% and really aren't much different.

Any filter works with 'salt pools'. We have oodles of members with all 3 filters and 'salt'.

You will have 'chemicals' either way. The 'salt pool' has a chlorine generator that adds chlorine for you, instead of buying and lugging jugs from the store. But it's the same thing in the end.

Have a looksie:
Pool Care Basics

Fire off any questions and we'll help. :)

I still don’t feel like I understand what I’m supposed to do with chemicals, but I bought them, and a test kit so I can test the water with a little bottles of stuff.
Can you tell us what chemicals you bought? Can you list them out? Don't want you to add something you will regret.
And what test kit you have? Can you give us the make/model of the kit?

Like to get you started on the right foot.