Very loud banging noises when lights turn on

Krausery

Oct 10, 2020
Florida
Hey all! I have been searching for a fix for this for a while and even tried to get a hold of pentair but haven’t received any responses. We have a fairly new pool with LED color changing light. Before I installed the intellibrite switch we had to turn the timer lever on and off to change colors which was a pain. Now with the switch installed it changes to the color easier but makes a horrible machine gun banging noise. I know it’s the system turning on and off to get the right color but it is incredibly loud. Is there a fix for this? They installed mechanical timers so maybe if I put a digital one in instead? We haven’t been using the lights because of this awful noise since it is on the other side of our closet we hear it bang off and when it comes on. Not to mention a decent hum through the wall when it’s on. Any help would be lovely. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• BB068BAD-E03B-4866-8FAF-680FC2205697.jpeg
    BB068BAD-E03B-4866-8FAF-680FC2205697.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 28235369-A3BC-49C4-9CF7-889A5C4914CA.jpeg
    28235369-A3BC-49C4-9CF7-889A5C4914CA.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 17
K,

Thanks for the pic..

If this were my pool, I would turn the lights on and off with the door open and see if the transformer moves..

It could be a bad transformer, or just the way it is mounted. I can't tell for sure if it is even mounted to the box, or if it just stuck into the hole.

I guess my point is, that I doubt it has anything to do with the incoming power or the lights themselves.

Maybe just isolating the transformer from the metal frame would help. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like it is screwed to the box but just seems strange how much it bangs as other Friends pools don’t do this. Guess I will have to look at their setup next time. Not sure how I would isolate it. Is it safe to put some noise reducing material around it?

Complain to whoever sold you that panel. The transformer is not from Pentair and I think complaining to Pentair will be futile.

You can see what the Pentair transformer look like here...

I suspect you replace the transformer with a Pentair 619963 and your problem will be fixed.

Complain to whoever sold you that panel. The transformer is not from Pentair and I think complaining to Pentair will be futile.

You can see what the Pentair transformer look like here...

I suspect you replace the transformer with a Pentair 619963 and your problem will be fixed.
Thanks for this. I was more contacting pentair to see if they knew what the issue might be. I will def look into this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I found the majority of the issue! Seems the main plate cover itself was either rattling or the electromagnet was sucking it in and out. I put some felt pads where it hits metal on metal and is much quieter now. Can still here the thud it makes when switching colors but much quieter. Didn’t think they were suppose to make any noise but I guess they do.
Thank you all for the suggestions and your time.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.