Variable speed pump slow speed is this the way to go, from a total pool newby

FIESTA62

May 31, 2020
BEACON HILL 2100 NSW
hi, i am about to start up my new concrete pool, 6 x 4, about 35000 litres, 9000 gallons, from what i have read running a variable speed pump slower will give better filtration, lower running costs, less noise, so i am trying to decide on how slow fr how long
i have read that filtering a pool the basic rule is turn over the water at least once a day, i installed a waterflo gauge so i can see the Litres per minute LPM on waterflow,
so if i run pump at say 100 LPM thats 6000 LPM per hour, so 6 hours at 100 LPM is 36000 litres, so i turn my pool over in 6 hours at 100 LPM, but from what i read 100LPM is pretty slow, how can just 6 hours be enough, most things i read people are doing 8 hours on single speed pumps going much faster,
i think my chlorinator needs 100LPM to run so cant go any slower,
is turning pool over 1 time enough as i have read some say 1.5 times or even 2 times, bottom line i am tyring to work out how slow and for how long i should run pump. thanks....keep in mind i am a total zoo brick newby never owned a pool

Hi Fiesta
Pool water turnover is not really required.
The pump only needs to be running enough to mix your Chemicals, reach you FC target and to skim and or clean you pool.

As noted above, water turnover to prevent algae is just a myth. Chemicals keep your water clear. Your filter is just there to capture the stuff that falls into your pool, not to prevent algae..

Just run your pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need, and to keep your pool skimmed, and quit worrying about turnovers.. It just makes life easier... :mrgreen:

I had a 1964 GTO... If I knew then, what I know now, I would have kept that car forever.. ☹ What year is yours??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I should add that slow is the way to go... I would never run slower than what turns on the SWCG, as in my mind running the pump, and not producing chlorine, does not make much sense. My SWCG comes on at 1100 RPM, so I run at 1200 to make sure it stays on if the filter gets a little dirty. I have a simple pool, so 1200 also allows my skimmers to work well..

Thanks,

Jim R.

As noted above, water turnover to prevent algae is just a myth. Chemicals keep your water clear. Your filter is just there to capture the stuff that falls into your pool, not to prevent algae..

Just run your pump long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need, and to keep your pool skimmed, and quit worrying about turnovers.. It just makes life easier... :mrgreen:

I had a 1964 GTO... If I knew then, what I know now, I would have kept that car forever.. ☹ What year is yours??

Thanks,

Jim R.
HI Jim, mine is 67, its a bit special its documented the only 67 built in Matador red colour, this colour was not available on pontiac till 68, so it was special order, all matching numbers, like almost new condition its been well cared for, and as a bonus is got the more rare HO engine

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hi Fiesta
Pool water turnover is not really required.
The pump only needs to be running enough to mix your Chemicals, reach you FC target and to skim and or clean you pool.
hi, ok now i am getting it good point i wasnt thinking like that, so pump and filter is just to run chemicals once they are in and mixed then its a matter of how clean i want pool, if its skimmed and looking clean after just 2 hours then thats it done....no point in doing 8 or more hours
but as for mixed in, how do i know when chemicals are fully mixed in, i will be running a variable speed pump a slow speed, so how do i know when the chemicals added are fully mixed in, do i retest in 1 hour or ?
i did read for a variable speed pump estimate run for 8 hours on slow speed, would i just do that after adding whatever chemicals are needed

Thanks,

Jim R.
I can relate to not knowing, I have a factory 69 428CJ mustang and decided I would gut it and make a race car. Never finished the car but that car would worth a fortune now.
Need an icon of me kicking myself!

hi, ok now i am getting it good point i wasnt thinking like that, so pump and filter is just to run chemicals once they are in and mixed then its a matter of how clean i want pool, if its skimmed and looking clean after just 2 hours then thats it done....no point in doing 8 or more hours
but as for mixed in, how do i know when chemicals are fully mixed in, i will be running a variable speed pump a slow speed, so how do i know when the chemicals added are fully mixed in, do i retest in 1 hour or ?
i did read for a variable speed pump estimate run for 8 hours on slow speed, would i just do that after adding whatever chemicals are needed
Fiesta
The run times are also dependant on how you chlorinate (LC or SWCG). This time of year in Aus I find 2hr is more than enough to skim and replenish the small amount of CL lost in 24hrs. Your pools location(in sun, trees over the pool) and number of Bathers will effect the FC loss during swim season.
Get yourself a decent testing kit. Your own test is kit is the only way you will know what your pool needs.
Stay on this site and you'll be in good hands with all the experts and members on here.
Test kit I use is from this company.
Enjoy your pool!

Fiesta
The run times are also dependant on how you chlorinate (LC or SWCG). This time of year in Aus I find 2hr is more than enough to skim and replenish the small amount of CL lost in 24hrs. Your pools location(in sun, trees over the pool) and number of Bathers will effect the FC loss during swim season.
Get yourself a decent testing kit. Your own test is kit is the only way you will know what your pool needs.
Stay on this site and you'll be in good hands with all the experts and members on here.
Test kit I use is from this company.
Enjoy your pool!
hi i bought the taylor 2006c kit so ready to go...

Reactions: CRAD_oz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your basically going figure out what your target FC needs to be and then pick a number on the SWCG like 75% and run a few hours to see if it catches up to the daily chlorine loss. You will up it or lower it accordingly. Initially get it to target with liquid chlorine then maintain it with the SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.