Variable speed conversion

Jim Savage

Jul 5, 2020
West Gardiner, ME
Hey folks! My 30k gallon inground is currently running a Superpump 120v 1hp. It's eating about $100 a month during pool season. I'd like to switch this to a VS motor but I'm struggling to find one that isn't 240v. Now, I'm not 100% positive but I might have 240v going to the pump pad... the breaker looks like a 240v breaker. I've yet to look closely or meter the wiring. What I am sure of is that the current motor is wired to 120v.

Any suggestions about a replacement motor? I known120v VS motors are a bit rarer, but I think that makes for the simplest swap.

Hey Jim,

There is a great VS pump in 120v but you are correct you really should use 220v if it is there...

Hope this helps :)

I appreciate the response. I was mainly looking for options on motors and keeping the superpump head. It's in great shape and all plumbed. I'll certainly be doing some investigating into what I have for voltage. It's a weird wiring setup. Looks like a 240 breaker. The wiring is baby blue and white. I'll need to pull out the meter and my thinking cap to figure out exactly what's going on in there.

I appreciate the response. I was mainly looking for options on motors and keeping the superpump head. It's in great shape and all plumbed. I'll certainly be doing some investigating into what I have for voltage. It's a weird wiring setup. Looks like a 240 breaker. The wiring is baby blue and white. I'll need to pull out the meter and my thinking cap to figure out exactly what's going on in there.
If each wire is going to a separate breaker of the tandem breaker, it is 240v. If one of the wires is going to the neutral bar, it is 120v. It would be odd to use a white wire for 240v but not unheard of. Sometimes the ends will be tapped or colored to indicate a hot wire.

@mas985, I was also pinging you about the OPs initial idea, about swapping just the motor of his pump to upgrade it to VS, either 120 or 240. Is that even possible?

The only after market VS motors that I am aware of are 240v.

However, for pretty much the same price, you can get a new pump:

But it too is 240v.

If you want 120v, you may need to go with a new pump.

Reactions: Dirk
So the V green is 400 and if you buy the external part to adjust times from the pool and move the freeze temp it is almost 200 so the same price as the new pump...

I love my V green and would recommend it every time and it would be better to have your pump run at 240v instead of 120... With that said it is up to you the way you want to go :)

You mentioned might having a 240 breaker. Can you post a picture of the breaker box?
I'll see if I can get to it. It's kind of buried behind a wall of garage stuff. I'm pretty savvy with residential electricity... used to build houses for a living. It's definitely a big bar breaker occupying 2 positions in the box. I just hate to state it to be 240 until I both verify that it actually shuts off power to the pad and that it is what it looks like.

I think my uncertainty revolves around how they turned the 240 into 120 at the pad and how I'd have to go about undoing it. Again, I didn't dig deep into the wiring but the wire colors are not what I would have expected. There's also a gfci box, an outlet, a timer, and a light box. The light is a separate circuit. More to come when I can get some pics and more info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a variable speed motor that is 115 volts. The total hp is 0.85 or 1.0. Not sure of the exact number.

The page shows that it can replace a 1.0 total hp motor but the specs say 0.85 total hp.

You could drop the impeller down to a SPX2605C to be safe. Or, contact the manufacturer to verify the total hp.

https://www.regalbeloit.com/product...-1-phase-3600-rpm-115-v-56j-frame-tefc-elv08c

Last edited:

If you get the NPTT165, it's a 1.65 total hp motor. You can use a SPX2610C impeller and that will give you better performance or you can use the existing impeller and the NPTT125 motor.

Note that the frame type looks like it's mislabeled in the brochure. The SuperPump uses the 56j frame. It's right in the title but not in the description.

Last edited:
Alright folks, spring is upon us and I'm due to make a decision on this. I didn't capture any pics but I've decided to stick with the 120v setup I have, mostly because I don't have time to screw with it. I'm thinking I'll be going with a Vgreen ELV08C, .85 hp. I think I should be pairing that with a SPX2607C impeller, unless the 2605C is the better choice for this situation. I would rather have more hp but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere. No one seems to deal in the Neptune motors with the 56J frame.

So, before I pull the trigger, anyone see why I shouldn't do this? Would I be better served by a larger dual speed or something else?

I would probably go with a Superflo vs pump.

Are there any rebates available from your utility?

The 0.85 hp with the 05 impeller should work.

You might be able to use the 07 impeller, but I would check the amperage to make sure that it doesn't cause the pump to draw more current than what is listed on the motor label.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.