Valve Placement Settings.

country living

May 30, 2019
Virginia
How do you have your pump valve(s) open/close settings.

I have a 20x40 IG with 2 skimmers and 2 floor drains. Each skimmer has it's own open/shutoff valve and the two floor drains share one valve. The valves are PVC Gate Valves.

Right now I have all three fully open. Is this correct? I also have a manual vacuum that I connect to one of the skimmers. When using the vacuum should that valve be equally opened with the other two or should I close off the other two to some degree?

This is all really knowing your pool. I close my floor drain around 85% so that the skimmers get most of the suction.

For vacuums it is a matter of setting it so your suction is appropriate to vacuum.

FYI: You may have 2 drain shields on your floor drain (this is for safety) but that is actually just a single drain. Unless you are talking about a drain in the pool and another in the spa.

Thanks PoolGate.

We just moved into this house in January and the previous owner did not leave any information about the pool. So I am learning as I go along.

The deep end of the pool has two white plastic looking shields about two feet apart so I assumed it was two separate drains. I will close off the floor drain to 50% and see what changes happen.

Regarding the vacuum. Looks like I just need to play with the settings to see what works best. This might be a silly question to the exports but if I were to shut off the other valves and leave the vacuum valve fully open. Is the suction strong enough to try and suck up the liner?

Thanks PoolGate.

We just moved into this house in January and the previous owner did not leave any information about the pool. So I am learning as I go along.

The deep end of the pool has two white plastic looking shields about two feet apart so I assumed it was two separate drains. I will close off the floor drain to 50% and see what changes happen.

Regarding the vacuum. Looks like I just need to play with the settings to see what works best. This might be a silly question to the exports but if I were to shut off the other valves and leave the vacuum valve fully open. Is the suction strong enough to try and suck up the liner?

That is a single floor drain line to what is called a "safety" drain. Being 2 feet apart if someone covers one side the other side will ensure they can get free.

Be very careful with vacuum suction. Pool pumps are VERY powerful. Never use more than you need to suck up debris. I think it probably would latch onto the liner and possibly damage it. Also you should use proper vacuum attachments and not like just a bare hose end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.