Cetanorak

Jun 13, 2022
Wimberley, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Texas, deep freeze conditions. Just notice water level in pool was low, walked out to equipment pad and water is gushing out of a cracked part of a PVC pipe, post-pump just above valve for a return. Turned everything off immediately. Only way to stop the leak was to turn all incoming outgoing valves off. Drained pump and filter. Don't see any way to keep the pump running without hemorraging water out of this crack.

What should I do now?

Will the water in the pool now freeze, potentially cracking underground pipes? Should I use a submersible pump to lower water in pool below skimmers/returns and then try and drain the lines from the valves at the pool equipment, then shut all valves again?

Pool is above the level of our equipment pad. Pad has three incoming pipes from pool (1 skimmer, 2 skimer and 3 two floor drains) runs through pump, filter and heater and then there are three returns (1 - pool jets, 2 -cleaner line for pressure vacuum (jet in side of pool), 3 - waterfall feature (jet facing up on stair platform). All of the "openings" in the pool are still below water. Should I drain below any of these points...the skimmers?

Truly appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Ugh. Your focus now is on the equipment. Double check and you removed all drain plugs, opened up all valves, pump lids, etc. Also make sure you flipped the breaker so your equipment doesnt try and turn back on.

Ice in your pool likely will not cause any issues, with the exception of your skimmers. You can put pool noodles or empty water bottles in the skimmers to absorb some of the pressure from the expanding ice so your plastic skimmers do not crack.

Good luck.

Ugh. Your focus now is on the equipment. Double check and you removed all drain plugs, opened up all valves, pump lids, etc. Also make sure you flipped the breaker so your equipment doesnt try and turn back on.

Ice in your pool likely will not cause any issues, with the exception of your skimmers. You can put pool noodles or empty water bottles in the skimmers to absorb some of the pressure from the expanding ice so your plastic skimmers do not crack.

Good luck.
Thanks!

I have drained pump, filter and heater and turned off electrical. Should I leave the drains unplugged or re-plug after drained?

Should I remove any water from the pool? Concerned about the water that is in the skimmers running up to the valve at the pad, whether or not that will start to freeze overnight and the next couple of days. Wasn't sure if I should drain pool to below the skimmers, then drain skimmer lines at the pad and then drain pad equipment again.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have drained pump, filter and heater and turned off electrical. Should I leave the drains unplugged or re-plug after drained?

Should I remove any water from the pool?
Leave the drains out to avoid trapping any water. Replug them all when you put everything back together on a few days.

Reactions: Newdude
The leak drained the pool to just below the skimmers. I can't refill the pool any higher because the outdoor faucets are all frozen, so the skimmers are currently filled with water but no more water will come in from pool. With temps staying below freezing over the next couple of days, does that trapped water in the skimmers pose a problem? Do I need to try and drain the water from the skimmer lines at the equipment pad (which is below the level of the pool)? I'm not sure what's worse for freezing, having the entire skimmer suction line filled with water or just having a small amount of water in the suction line after draining?

Last edited:
Do you have any foam rope around like what is used for weather stripping?

Stuff a foot or so of foam rope down the skimmer pipes. That gives a crush zone for ice to expand into without cracking pipes. Remember to remove it before starting pumps.

Similarly put cut up pool noodles or half filled water bottles in the skimmer to provide a crush zone.

Do you have any foam rope around like what is used for weather stripping?

Stuff a foot or so of foam rope down the skimmer pipes. That gives a crush zone for ice to expand into without cracking pipes. Remember to remove it before starting pumps.

Similarly put cut up pool noodles or half filled water bottles in the skimmer to provide a crush zone.
I tried putting pool noodles in but they just want to float on the top of the water.

I tried putting pool noodles in but they just want to float on the top of the water.
Wrap them around the inside edge of the skimmer and stuff the noodles into the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.