Vacuum for my pool?

ioinva

Jun 3, 2020
VA
I have an Intex framed pool in close proximity of some maple trees that drop leaves. Looking for a vacuum solution: I have an Intex pump (2100GPH. 0.3HP) that powers a large Hayward 18" sand filter well and has kept the pool crystal clear last 2 seasons. And I have a Barracuda knock off (Vingli) that cannot be powered by the pump. I am hesitant to put in a non-intex pump because of issues with bonding. So the question is: If I do upgrade to the largest intex pump (3000GPH, .75HP), will that be sufficient to power this vacuum, maybe with an inline leaf canister collector? Is there any "automatic" vacuum that would work better given the pump and leaf situation?

Not sure about the barracuda suction side but i had good results with the intex automatic pool cleaner & the 2100gph intex pump- then later on my 33’ above ground w/ a 1.5 hp pump, it is a pressure side cleaner that hooks to the return jet.
I upgraded last year to a dolphin since after 4-5 seasons the intex was not moving as well anymore. The dolphin is wonderful.

I'm ready to give away the barracuda knock off if this Intex vacuum works. If and when we move to a hard sided pool (too many trees for an in-ground), I will use the bigger pump, and upgrade to something else. Fingers crossed this will work -- as soon as I figure out how to remove the eye of the return socket -- it's stuck there pretty tight.

Also, what do you all do with the leaves? The hose on the Intex vacuum is not modular, so I cannot insert a leaf canister in there. So they will keep going in the leaf strainer on the pump? That thing is small, and as we head in the fall, we will have quite a few leaves... I think the intex vacuum would be excellent for dust and pollen, but i can't see it working through all the leaves?

If this is the Intex bot, it connects to your return. Leaves and debris are caught inside it. Never touches the filtration system.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Also, what do you all do with the leaves? The hose on the Intex vacuum is not modular, so I cannot insert a leaf canister in there. So they will keep going in the leaf strainer on the pump? That thing is small, and as we head in the fall, we will have quite a few leaves... I think the intex vacuum would be excellent for dust and pollen, but i can't see it working through all the leaves?
It is a pressure side venturi apparatus (the pressure from your jet propels it) - all the debris is trapped within its belly & u dump it out.
If u have a skimmer it will continue to skim surface debris

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I used to have an Intex pool and ended up upgrading to the Intex 3000 GPH .75 HP pump that you mentioned (and it came with the 16” sand filter, but you already have your Hayward one). The pump had more than enough power to run my old Intex automatic pool cleaner!! It got everything so clean and it hooked up perfectly to the return jet. Super easy to empty out all of the leaves and debris, too. I sold my Intex pool last spring and included the pump/filter and the vacuum in the sale since I bought a new pool and equipment. I know absolutely nothing about the Barracuda so I can’t help you with that one. I do highly recommend the Intex 3000 GPH pump and the auto cleaner, though! You will notice a big difference between it and your current pump.

I posted some pics of my old Intex auto cleaner when it was hooked up to the jet return of my old Intex pool and powered by the upgraded pump. I wish I could post a video on here because it was definitely moving! 9F2054D4-A9C3-4E2F-B227-8095903E62AC.jpeg7515E111-6CEB-48CD-BB96-58FD77C47008.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the YouTube fixed!
On the little pool👇
On the big pool 👇
On each pool I had a ball valve before the return so I could adjust the flow to the vac to make it go faster or slower & divert the rest of the pressure to an alternate jet or a fountain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Decoy205

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With mine, I need to dial back the return (11 o'clock position) and turn on the fountain (9' o'clock position) putting me around 20psi on the pump and even then, the Intex boogies along. At wide open and unrestricted it takes off like a plane and never touches the ground. I have let it just do its thing over the course of a few days or until someone wants to use the pool. I am quite surprised at how well this thing does. And even better I found it new on ebay for $40 delivered!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.