Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

I'm over the hump with recovery from my lightning strike and gas heater frustration. Everything's working great. I even figured out how to start the pool lights at sunset instead of having to adjust the start timer. My next project was to install a Pentair VS pump but my unplanned lightning strike and heaters have me looking to save some up front $ without losing value. I can replace my energy hog single speed pump motor with a VS motor with a payout of about a year. To get maximum savings I plan to control so that it only runs at high speed (probably around 3000 rpm) when the solar heat valve is open. The rest of the time the pump is on I'd just run it fast enough for the pool heater and chlorinator. This would be easy if I used the Pentair pump with my Intellicenter automation. The V-green pump has a connection for the RS-485 bus but I doubt the protocol is the same as Pentair. Each control manufacturer seems to have little differences in their protocols that make it a little harder to use other brand's equipment. I've read the manuals available and the following seems to be workable. Can anybody that has more knowledge than me verify this is correct or let me know if there's an easier way?:
  • The V-green seems to have anticipated this issue so they also have digital inputs that can drive the pump to different speeds. If there's no digital input the pump simply returns to the preprogrammed speed.
  • The digital inputs seem to be capable of using a wide range of low voltage signals.
  • Seem's like I can put a simple relay that provides 24 vac to the "step 1" digital input when the "call for heat" signal is generated by my Hayward Goldline solar control. Here's an excerpt from the manual that shows a simplified circuit diagram:
  • 1576249373608.png
  • Or can I accomplish the same thing by bringing solar control into the Intellicenter and retire the old Hayward Control?
Any input or ideas from you all would be much appreciated. I plan to purchase the V-Green in January so I have a couple of weeks to think this through.

Chris

Chris,

I know it is not nice to try and spend other people's money, but you will never be happy with the relay driven speed control..

Just bite the bullet and buy an IntelliFlo VS, P/N 011028...

My dad taught me that if you buy a poor tool, you will cry every time you use it, but if you buy a great tool, you one cry once, when you buy it. :mrgreen:

The IntelliCenter has a builtin solar controller, so I can't think of any reason not to use it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

You're making this difficult... I had the wife convinced for the $430 motor. In know you're right but now I have to go back and take a beating again! How about the Super Flo VS?

Chris

Chris,

I'm Sorry... ?

The SuperFlo VS has no RS-485 connection.. It works the same as the V-Green...

I just don't want you spending $450 and not be happy...

But.. I understand you can only do, what you can do.. I have a wife and a budget also.. :mrgreen:

The V-Green would be better than a single speed pump.. If it is true that the V-green will pay for itself in a year, and you won't be able to install an IntelliFlo for a year or more, then going with the V-green will cost the same as the electricity, so it is a wash..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I'm gonna try to figure out an angle for the full Intelliflo VS since I know you're right that this is the definitely the best choice and normally she'd go for that. But my recent $2K for the Intellicenter automation plus the $1k heater mishap has her scrutinizing my $ a little closer. So I look at it as my choice was the Intellicenter or the Intelliflo. As you point out there's still a savings. There's also a chance (low) that I might figure out a way to interface the V-Green RS 485 with the Intellicenter. Now that would be cool. I'll just have to be careful not to dump a cup of water on the pump controls when I'm playing with it! :mad:

As always, thanks much for all your advice.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.