UT New Build - Update (start up 5/21)

Didn't just show up in Utah. We've all been dealing with it! :laughblue:

Pool is looking great! I really like your tile/coping selection.

--Jeff
Thanks, Jeff (@Turbo1Ton). I've been surprised at the progress they made over the winter so it is skewing my winter perception :)

Been slow on the pool front here as far as updates. PB been waiting for sod to come finish the landscaping. Talked to him today and sound like he can get some from the sod farm the week of 4/26 🤞. I can't wait for the dirt to be gone. He says plaster would be the week after that.

About a month and a half ago, I got ambitious and put the shed together for the pool equipment in our garage. I was thinking they could be out any time to install the equipment. Now my wife and neighbors just laugh at me for having a shed inside our garage 🤷‍♂️ Needless to say, we are excited to get that thing out of the garage also. Is it normal to install the equipment right before plaster? Seems like I’ve seen other having it installed a lot earlier.

Attachments

• 884D7CE0-0B4A-4050-B2D1-5C0F3EBCAD86.jpeg
    884D7CE0-0B4A-4050-B2D1-5C0F3EBCAD86.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn
The equipment showed up today. Went out there to check on it and was disappointed/confused. Some of it was correct, Intellicenter with Intellichlor IC40 (521906) and Intellibright color lights (601003). Auto level system (Levolor Electronic Water Leveling K1100CKC) came which I never knew what that was going to be. However, these were not what I expected or we agreed on.
  • Filter was the C&C Plus but was the 320 vs 520 (160340)
  • Pump is a Whisperflo 1.5 HP Single speed and only one pump (011528) vs the Inteliflo 3 HP VSF and separate pump to run bubblers/deck jets
  • Heater is the Universal H-Series Natural Gas 400K BTU vs the Pentair MasterTemp 400K
When I called my PB to find out what was up, he apologized but said he has not been able to get the parts we talked about. He said he been buying any pool equipment he can get his hands on but pumps and heaters are especially hard to get right now. He kept thinking that eventually the orders would get fulfilled by the time we were ready to finish my pool. He offered to adjust the cost difference on any of the parts or he can come back and swap them out once he can finally get what we agreed on but wanted to get my pool opened for the season. I just want what I thought we were going to get but I know equipment shortages are a big issue right now. I'm honestly kind of lost now and don't know what to think. I don't know enough about this stuff to make sense of it all.

Any suggestions? I know I definitely want the single-speed pump swapped out. PB says the 320 filter is usually the size he does for my size pool (estimating it to be about 16K gals). Is all this going to work fine together? Reliability issues? Asked about the Pentair 3 year warranty for ordering all of it together and he said he would still do a 3-year warranty on all the equipment.

Attachments

• CC78689C-C3BD-4CFA-91BD-F1B20B37967D.jpeg
    CC78689C-C3BD-4CFA-91BD-F1B20B37967D.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 16
@wireform Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm definitely not going to stick with the pump. I want that swapped out for sure. My pool is not that big, just wanted the 520 to not have to clean the filters as much. Told him I would be ok with it if the filter could go a full season after plaster settling. Guessing with the cover I might make it but that is an uneducated guess.

They are here today working on the equipment. They brought a second pump, 1/2 hp Whisperflo that will run the bubblers and deck jets.

Any other feedback on what you might do in my situation?

They are here today working on the equipment. They brought a second pump, 1/2 hp Whisperflo that will run the bubblers and deck jets.

Any other feedback on what you might do in my situation?
First off it is ****** of the builder not to bring this to your attention before now. That said you pretty much only have three options

1. Agree to their plan. Agree to install this stuff for now but it will get replaced with the right equipment when it arrives. Get everything in an written contract/addendum. If you don’t get it in written contract it’s not going to happen and you will be stuck with what they have.

2. Wait it out and possible miss the entire summer. Those parts are all currently back ordered 3-7 months. When did the PB place the order? What is the orders ETA?

3. Source the parts on your own and get the PB to agree to deduct the prices off the pool and install them with a warranty. Just know you are going to struggle to find all the equipment.

Reactions: johnywess

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First off it is ****** of the builder not to bring this to your attention before now. That said you pretty much only have three options

1. Agree to their plan. Agree to install this stuff for now but it will get replaced with the right equipment when it arrives. Get everything in an written contract/addendum. If you don’t get it in written contract it’s not going to happen and you will be stuck with what they have.

2. Wait it out and possible miss the entire summer. Those parts are all currently back ordered 3-7 months. When did the PB place the order? What is the orders ETA?

3. Source the parts on your own and get the PB to agree to deduct the prices off the pool and install them with a warranty. Just know you are going to struggle to find all the equipment.
Thanks, @wreckem. You summed up all my thoughts exactly. I was pretty mad all yesterday and spinning. Not sure when they were ordered but he asked for the payment for the equipment back in February. So I at least paid him for them then. I'll ask him if there is an ETA on the orders, I did not think to ask that. He's said he's had orders in with Pentair for a while. I need to get more details. With all the PB fighting over parts, I don't know how I would have more luck. Going with option 1 knowing it going to be a battle to make it happen even with a contract.

Update. Thanks to @mknauss I contacted Polytec Pools and they have 011056 in stock and could ship it right away. Told my PB, he says his supplier is saying they will have it in 3-4 weeks and will come to swap it out. Going to give him the opportunity first but told him I was not going to make my final payment until it is swapped out. Feeling better there. The heater is another story a lot of places will not ship them. Does anyone have any experience with the Hayward Universal H-Series Natural Gas 400K BTU (H400FDN)? Seems to be a good heater but noisier.

Equipment Pad/Shed is almost done. They said they have one more full day left to finish everything up. If anyone notices anything that might not be right, please let me know. It tight but I didn't have a lot of space to begin with. I'm happy with how it turned out so far, without know any better. He is going to add GCFI so I can have a light in the shed and have some extra outlets outside the ones on the Intellicenter.

Auto cover box is all done and coping pavers are set. They had to cut a new piece for over the auto cover motor and you can tell how much the pavers have lightened up over the last 3 months. Deck jets and bubbler got installed also. Landscaping and plaster are supposed to be next week. We will see.

Attachments

• 0CC4AE87-05F0-4FF5-A582-5D9CF85F62D5.jpeg
    0CC4AE87-05F0-4FF5-A582-5D9CF85F62D5.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 446E8D47-035F-4279-A34F-787597744817.jpeg
    446E8D47-035F-4279-A34F-787597744817.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 52
  • D4974C31-B6C3-4E6A-9280-4FDDE67F66A6.jpeg
    D4974C31-B6C3-4E6A-9280-4FDDE67F66A6.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 5ABD0068-A5E8-4408-8BA2-4C9EF493A4A2.jpeg
    5ABD0068-A5E8-4408-8BA2-4C9EF493A4A2.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: sl7vk
The plaster crew is here this morning preparing. We are excited!

Attachments

• C3545D2E-A901-4F4F-924A-AA1A2DE3919F.jpeg
    C3545D2E-A901-4F4F-924A-AA1A2DE3919F.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 3CBC0DF7-6075-444A-830A-A02705F4F763.jpeg
    3CBC0DF7-6075-444A-830A-A02705F4F763.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.