Using K-2006 kit

May 26, 2013
I got my new test kit today. My pool turn green while on vacation. Nothing crazy but enough that I couldn’t see the bottom of the deep end. While waiting for the kit I dumped in 5 gallons of liquid chlorine over 3 days. Saw some improvement day 1 and a lot today. Just a little cloudy still but blue and can’t see the bottom decently. I want to test the water. When I do the free chlorine test I used the 10ml mark. As soon as I put the first scoop in it turned dark pink. I put 16 drops of R-0871 and it didn’t change. Should I just keep putting in drops? Not sure what that means? TIA

It means your chlorine is high. Keep putting in drops, one at a time and swirl between drops. You added roughly 22ppm of chlorine to your pool over 3 days. In a 10ml sample 16 drops is only 8ppm of FC. We know your FC is between 8 and 22, assuming you had 0 FC when you started. Run the test again and keep going till the test turns clear.

With a 10 ml sample 16 drops is 8 ppm FC, your FC is higher than that. Start over and keep going.

As others have said, keep going.

Make sure you hold the bottle vertical as an angle can effect drop size. When you get near the end, it'll start to fade in color fast so slow down. Once it seems clear, do an extra drop to make sure it is actually clear because sometimes from staring at it, it fools you.

Although under these conditions I'm not sure that extra .5ppm is going to matter.

What's your PH and CYA levels?

Reactions: BowserB
So it doesn’t seem like the bottles that come with it will last very long. Am I missing something. Do you normally get refill bottle through your the season?
That is why the K2006C is the recommended test kit, the C matters. The TF100 is the best value as it has more of the reagents you will use.

You can order refills from TFTestkits.net. And then next spring get a full refill set for the K2006 from them and it will have more reagents for the tests you do the most.

I actually like my K-2006 ( not C) because of the small bottles. At the very beginning I bought larger quantities of the FAS-DPD powder and CYA reagent. Toward the end of our long summer last year I bought a C sized bottle of Phenol Red for pH testing. Everything else lasted me until just a couple weeks ago when I bought some refills through TF test kits. I like the size of my smaller kit and the color coded lids, so I just use my replacements to refill my small bottles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.