Using bleach

As far as the CC, OCLT, and cloudiness, they all go together. As soon as the slam kills every
In the pool you’ll pass the cc and oclt test then when the filter catches up the water will clear. You can’t really target them individually. Just be diligent about keeping the FC at the slam level along with good brushing and everything else will fall into place.

I'm sad. Finally made it to the Rural King in my area which is 30 minutes away. All they had was Majestic Bleach which I learned is only 3%. So I had to go back to my Kroger and pay 2.99 for 8.25%. I'm SLAMing right now and going through the bleach. I hope it doesn't bleach out my liner keeping the bleach level so high for so long. I'm still cloudy but I think I'm getting a little better each day. I'm working from home tomorrow so I should be able to check my FC more frequently and keep my FC up. This evening it was back down to 5. I've got to keep it up to 10 or 12 for SLAMing.

I'm sad. Finally made it to the Rural King in my area which is 30 minutes away. All they had was Majestic Bleach which I learned is only 3%. So I had to go back to my Kroger and pay 2.99 for 8.25%. I'm SLAMing right now and going through the bleach. I hope it doesn't bleach out my liner keeping the bleach level so high for so long. I'm still cloudy but I think I'm getting a little better each day. I'm working from home tomorrow so I should be able to check my FC more frequently and keep my FC up. This evening it was back down to 5. I've got to keep it up to 10 or 12 for SLAMing.

Keep it at 12, not 10 and your SLAM will go faster. As far as bleaching your liner, Pythagoras isn’t going to happen. With 30 PPM CYA and 12 PPM FC, you can safely swim, have your clothes in, drink, water your flowers with, the pool water. (I don’t really recommend you ever drink your pool water but you get where I’m going. )

I know it seems high, mainly based off the antiquated levels pushed by the pool industry, but it’s not. Just for a comparison sake, and since you’re using 8.25%..... 12 ppm of chlorine is just over 1/10 of a TEASPOON of 8.25% bleach in a gallon of water.

Wow! JimMarshall, I didn't realize it was such a small amount of bleach, I guess I was just looking at all the jugs of bleach I've already used. I'll try to get it up to 12ppm. I was afraid we couldn't swim at that level. It's now getting clear. Anybody else who looked at it would call it clear but I know what I'm looking at. It's clear but not crystal. I think I'll start with the overnight testing tomorrow night. It wasn't clear enough to worry about before but since I'm now passing the clear water part of the 3 part test, I need to start testing for CC and overnight loss. I know I didn't lose as much last night as I did the night before so I'm getting closer.

My water is clear now but when you go under the water you can still see it's slightly brownish/dark. So it's not clear under the water. I tested today during my SLAM, these are my numbers.
FC 14
CC 0
CYA 30
I was keeping my SLAM around 10 but kept noticing it dropping off to 5-7ppm. I work during the day and can't keep up with it every 2 hours. So yesterday morning I bumped it back up to 10 and then around lunch called my son and told him to pour almost a gallon of bleach in. I figure better too much as too less. When I got home it was around 10 so I poured another 1/3 gallon in. Late in the evening it was down to about 10 again so I poured the remaining 2/3 of the bleach in. This morning it was up to 14 so I poured about 1/3 gallon in to try to hold on until I get home this evening. I've been SLAMing for almost a week now. My question is, about how long does it take for it to completely clear? My son took the garbage off yesterday and the attendant at the dump asked my son if we were running a science experiment or something with all the bleach bottles (probably somewhere around 10-15 bottles).

The length of a SLAM process is variable. The quickest are those that are tended to every couple hours and are not let to fall below SLAM level FC very much or very often. One person did one in less than two days by test/dose every hour for the entire time.

Stay at it and it will clear.

You are correct. Wait until you pass the OCLT then worry about CC. I just found this site about a month ago and it has been a life saver. After my first SLAM my water was blue but milky. My OCLT passed easily and my CC was 0.5 or less. The only thing that had to pass was clear water. I put in some clarifier and voila! my pool was crystal clear the next day. All of the white milky substance(dead algae) was on the bottom. I vacuumed my pool and it was great!

I am finishing my 2nd SLAM because I went on vacation and came back to a green pool. Yesterday my pool was blue again but milky. Because of my work I was up until 1A this morning. I put clarifier in at 1a and this morning around 730a my pool was mostly clear. I'm hoping it's totally clear by the time I get home.

Make sure if you use flocculant(not recommended) you vacuum to waste though. Not designed to go through your filter.

It is not recommended to use clarifier either. It is glue. It will eventually harden your sand filter and will clog cartridge and DE filter media.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have completed my first SLAM! My water is crystal clear! It took me 7 days to complete because I work and couldn't always keep the fc up but man it looks wonderful today. I tried to add photos but I couldn't figure it out. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.