Using aluminum measuring cup for chemicals

I would never use anything but plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this from Amazon. I liked it because it has measurement marks in ounces and goes up to 64 ounces, which is good for adding acid. I just make sure to rinse it out real well after using it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNEBO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then I got these for testing the water. The squeeze spout makes it easy to add precise amounts of water to the test tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016BZT4W2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use the same plastic container for both acid chlorine all the time. I just simply dip in the pool one time between chemicals. Never had an issue. Obviously you don't want to mix the chemicals, but using the same plastic container hopefully it's not an issue.... if so I need to learn about that.

I use the same plastic container for both acid chlorine all the time. I just simply dip in the pool one time between chemicals. Never had an issue. Obviously you don't want to mix the chemicals, but using the same plastic container hopefully it's not an issue.... if so I need to learn about that.

Yea, thats what I do. I also took a sharpie and wrote "Pool Chemicals" on it so nobody will use it to fill the dogs water bowls or something. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Trying to contribute here... microbiologist wife says dipping the container in pool water doesn't get off all the acid so be careful where/how you store it and using your hands on the container without gloves. She also recommends glass vs plastic for acid.

Trying to contribute here... microbiologist wife says dipping the container in pool water doesn't get off all the acid so be careful where/how you store it and using your hands on the container without gloves. She also recommends glass vs plastic for acid.

I think practically speaking, rinsing the measuring container in the pool is good enough to remove the majority of acid - For sure you don't want to go using the same container to mix your next cocktail but for our intended use it should be fine.

Generally you do not want glass anywhere near your pool. If it breaks and shards etc end up in the pool it can be very difficult to remove and will be a hazard to swimmers.

We are conducting pool care, not microbiology. Rinse the measuring cup out in the pool, scrub with a rag if it makes you feel better.

Glass by the pool is a bigger problem when it breaks than getting every last molecule of acid out of the measuring cup. You are working with wet hands and utensils here, things are slippery. I’ve dropped my plastic measuring cup more than once .....

You all didn't think I'd miss this thread, did you!? ;)

You don't need two different cups, but two is arguably safer than one.

These are the bomb:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Angled Measuring Cup Set: Industrial Scientific

And here's why:

Do not be tempted to pour your chemicals into your measuring cup(s) anywhere but directly over your pool water. Not even a foot away. Dispense slowly in front of a running return, then rinse in the pool water. You carry the jug of chemical (acid or chlorine), and the measuring cup, in a bucket to your pool. You set the bucket so it's just on the edge of the pool, overhanging a little bit. You lift the measuring cup over the water and then the open jug, and measure out your chemical into the cup. Put the jug back into the bucket, then dispense the chemical, rinse the cup, then put the cup back into the bucket.

If you do it right, then neither jug nor cup, nor any errant drips from either, will ever be over your deck, only the bucket. That is best practice (IMO) and will help ensure you never get any of either chemical on your deck.

Now the reason those OXO cups are the thing to use, is because with a regular cup, you'll have to raise it closer to eye level to measure out the chemicals: closer to your face, your eyes, etc. With the OXO cups, you can measure with the cup very close to the pool water, because you can see the marker lines from above the cup!

I studied this at length (and bored everyone here about it) and this is what I've come up with, and it works.

Consider protective gear when working with these chemicals: eyes, lungs and hands. Most others here don't bother, but muriatic acid can cause permanent damage to soft tissue, so the choice is yours.

And if that's not enough info, you can subject yourself to this thread of mine and have a good laugh:

Getting ready for SWG

Skip ahead about 50 posts if you don't care to read about the other ideas covered there...

BE SAFE!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.