Using aluminum measuring cup for chemicals

Good stuff and you have some great ideas (read your other posts)... I'm definitely buying the oxo measuring cups. I'm starting to manage two fountains with tfp and if you have any ideas of how to easily measure small quantities of MA, I would be grateful. Pool math tells me I need as few as 1-2 teaspoons to get my PH to the proper level. Measuring cups for this amount are too small to safely manage acid (similar to a shotglass size. Was thinking of a Turkey baster type device (I could add measurements to the baster). Thoughts?

That could work, but you might have issues rinsing it out well enough. Hmm, I'd think a simple measuring spoon would be fine: tsp, Tbsp, etc, but it'd be a challenge to fill one of those from a heavy gallon jug of acid. Does your wife have access to a smaller plastic bottle with a screw on lid, that is chemical safe? Something smaller that would be easier to fill a tsp from? Heck, maybe just a plastic Coke bottle. Coke is pretty acidic. Maybe it could stand up to MA. She'd know, right?

Alternately, you could use the 14% acid, which would require a larger dose, and be more forgiving if you splashed in a little too much or too little.

Why are you balancing water in a fountain? Are people or fish in it? Does it have a surface to worry about? I pour a little bleach in my fountain once in a while, when it gets too green, but I don't worry about the pH. Or test for balance. It's a concrete bowl. I'm not too worried about its finish, and if it's not to the birds' liking, that's fine, maybe they'll stop using it and pooping in it!

Yeah... I was thinking a simple measuring spoon/cup that is within a larger cup in case I spill when pouring from the gallon.

Wife is now a mommy and no longer working in the microbiology field... I am going to ask her for some more ideas for sure.

I love your idea of just using 14% acid but then I have to deal with two different acid strengths (I like the stronger stuff in my auto chlorinator).

I am balancing the water in the fountain mainly to prevent calcium. The fountains are setup with DE filters (probably overkill). It's run like an extra small pool without the heater. Thanks for your help!

Did you mean auto acid injector (not chlorinator)? My auto acid injector wants 1:1 dilution of MA, presumably to protect its various parts. Maybe 14% would be better for yours, too, then you could just standardize on that strength.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.