Using a Smaller Auxiliary Pump for Freeze Protection

Z-27

Feb 16, 2021
Texas
Using a Smaller Auxiliary Pump for Freeze Protection

My house has an emergency standby generator. However, the generator can not run everything. It runs 1 of 4 load centers in my home.

There is a 120VAC outlet near the pool equipment that IS on the standby generator. I noticed that when the pool system goes into "Freeze Guard" the pump runs very slowly. I am thinking that a 1/2 H.P. 120 VAC pump could create adequate flow to prevent freezing. As a retired electrical engineer I can come up with the appropriate switching mechanisms (electrically). I would use my licensed pool electrician to assure code compliance. From a plumbing standpoint, perhaps this pump could go in series with the main pump and utilize check valves to achieve the necessary flow to reduce the chances of plumbing freezing.

I would appreciate any thoughts, or actual experience on this idea.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

It may work great once you unthaw, I doubt anyone has done this but who knows... I have a whole house generator and man are they worth every penny... I think they will become more and more worth having as we get more dependent on green tech because it fails more then the old tech... The reason you have no power is because of frozen wind turbines and no sun to power solar when the storm comes through (all green tech)

The future of standby generators may be limited. Most cities in California no longer allow the distribution of natural gas or propane. I understand that New York State is getting ready to ban natural gas also.

The future of standby generators may be limited. Most cities in California no longer allow the distribution of natural gas or propane. I understand that New York State is getting ready to ban natural gas also.

That movement is not as widespread as you describe. But if it does take hold in the us expect more dark and cold nights.

Get your generators while you can do the hookup and become grandfathered to such future lunacy.

The idea sounds reasonable to me. I have a variable speed pump and for years I have used 1600 rpm as my freeze protect setting, which requires less than 200W of power.

(During the recent extended cold I bumped it to 2600rpm = 1000W out of extreme caution, due to wind chills below zero, but in a typical year, with a couple nights in the 20s, the 1600rpm has been adequate)

That movement is not as widespread as you describe. But if it does take hold in the us expect more dark and cold nights.

Get your generators while you can do the hookup and become grandfathered to such future lunacy.
However, what happens if the state you live in BANS natural gas? If you have a whole house generator, odds are it is run by NG. And it seems like it can actually get cold enough to result in distribution issues. I am NOT saying to not be prepared...where I live, it will be a VERY cold day in heck before NG is banned and I don't foresee a federal ban on it in my lifetime.

I am NOT saying to not be prepared...where I live, it will be a VERY cold day in **** before NG is banned and I don't foresee a federal ban on it in my lifetime
Unfortunately. H Eeeee double hockey sticks is in Michagan. It’ll be pretty cold Saturday night. 1BC9BDED-D361-4052-8947-73F5A882D329.jpg

However, what happens if the state you live in BANS natural gas?

No state is going to ban NG. The CA and MA communities who have started this wave are banning new hookups. All existing NG users are grandfathered and there are exceptions for commercial uses. NG will continue to be used in this country for as long as there is supply coming out fo the ground.

Reactions: HeyEng
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.