Used Hayward DE4820

I found a good deal on a used (7 year old) Hayward DE4820. My current setup is a sand filter, 1 HP pump, 1.5" plumbing, 22,000 gallon pool. Other than the DE grids, is there anything else I need to inspect before purchasing? Also, is there any reason this wouldn't work with my setup? TIA for any advice!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It should work fine, although is smaller than I would recommend for a pool that size.
What kind of backwash valve does it have? You may need to replace the seals in the valve.

What size filter do you have now? Is there a problem with it?

I currently have a Hayward Sand Filter, S220T. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but I feel like it doesn't filter the water fast enough or well enough. Maybe I'm just impatient lol. I know DE filters are the best for filtering and I hope that it would help me clear my pool more quickly when I open it in the spring. This past spring, I ran the filter 24 hours a day and it took almost a month to clear it, but it was pretty bad when I opened it.

If you are opening to a green pool in the spring, then the DE filter would be a LOT more work than the sand filter to clean it up.

But, remember, that it is the chemistry (chlorine) that prevents algae and cloudiness. A filter will not prevent or remove live algae.

Do you follow the SLAM Process process when opening?
Do you close when the water is cold and open before the water warms up?

You can also Add DE to a Sand Filter to help clear up cloudiness (assuming there is no live algae).

It took me about 2 weeks to get my chlorine levels high enough for the SLAM process, and it took about 2 weeks after that for it to clear up. Unfortunately, my pool is surrounded by trees, so I close in October when temps are borderline cold enough and I opened the first week of May, but I couldn't open sooner than May because I have to wait until the trees stop shedding gunk or I'm cleaning my skimmer baskets several times a day.

Nextoblivion, I did the same thing 5 years ago. I also had a S220t. I replaced the grids and was up and running. You will notice a decrease in PSI and you may notice not very many particles floating in the pool at night with the pool light on. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thanks! Are you happy that you switched to the DE filter?

- - - Updated - - -

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It should work fine, although is smaller than I would recommend for a pool that size.
What kind of backwash valve does it have? You may need to replace the seals in the valve.

What size filter do you have now? Is there a problem with it?

- What size would you recommend? Based on my understanding (which could be wrong), it would provide more filtration than my current S220T. Is that correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a brand new, Unicel 2004 set of filters for the Hayward, Leslies 48" DE filter. Free to a good home. Never used.

Wish you were closer!

Yes very happy I went with DE. It is very oversized for my pool but that just means that I spend more time swimming instead of cleaning filters. If you are getting a good deal on the Hayward I would switch it out and sell the sand filter which is what I did. Hope this helps:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.