Pump recommendation - replacing Hayward SP2300VSP

Mar 17, 2013
Our 10 year old Hayward SP2300VSP completely died today :cry:

Looking for recommendations on replacement as that model is discontinued.

27,000 gallon inground saltwater.

Attached a pic of current setup. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpeg
    IMG_2094.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 6
Our 10 year old Hayward SP2300VSP completely died today :cry:

Looking for recommendations on replacement as that model is discontinued.

27,000 gallon inground saltwater.

Attached a pic of current setup. Thanks in advance for your help!
If you have been happy with the performance of the pump, you could replace the motor with a Nidec Neptune NPTQ165. About $600. You would need a GO kit that contains the needed seal and O rings (there will be parts for other models in the package that won't be used). You have been using a time clock to control your pump. All new VSP have their own built-in time clocks, including this motor.
Hayward also makes a "power end" available for that pump, but you can find a complete pump for only about $200 more. The replacement for that pump is W3SP2303VSP.

Last edited:
If you have been happy with the performance of the pump, you could replace the motor with a Nidec Neptune NPTQ165. About $600. You would need a GO kit that contains the needed seal and O rings (there will be parts for other models in the package that won't be used). You have been using a time clock to control your pump. All new VSP have their own built-in time clocks, including this motor.
Hayward also makes a "power end" available for that pump, but you can find a complete pump for only about $200 more. The replacement for that pump is W3SP2303VSP.

Thank you! Can you please help direct me with the GO kit you referenced? I didn’t see that anywhere when I was looking at the Neptune model yiu mentioned.

Is replacing the motor fairly easy and straightforward? Thanks again

Thank you! Can you please help direct me with the GO kit you referenced? I didn’t see that anywhere when I was looking at the Neptune model yiu mentioned.

Is replacing the motor fairly easy and straightforward? Thanks again
Search for MaxFlo GO kit. Here is one example:
https://lesliespool.com/epp-hayward...utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content={19640458999}_{}_{}&utm_term={304717}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItu2_15vm_gIVnQ6tBh2nHAnDEAQYAiABEgIQBvD_BwE

Replacing a motor is not particularly hard if you are a DIY person. There are many YouTube videos. Here's one:

Be very careful if you're not familiar with working with high-voltage equipment. The programming guide on the control panel cover is a great help.

Search for MaxFlo GO kit. Here is one example:
https://lesliespool.com/epp-hayward...utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content={19640458999}_{}_{}&utm_term={304717}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItu2_15vm_gIVnQ6tBh2nHAnDEAQYAiABEgIQBvD_BwE

Replacing a motor is not particularly hard if you are a DIY person. There are many YouTube videos. Here's one:

Be very careful if you're not familiar with working with high-voltage equipment. The programming guide on the control panel cover is a great help.
So I have the maxflo go kit… but the ceramic sealer is a little bit larger than the old one. Therefore it doesn’t seem quite the same fit as before. Is that ok/normal?

The old seal inserted into the hole. The new seal will only rest on top…

So I have the maxflo go kit… but the ceramic sealer is a little bit larger than the old one. Therefore it doesn’t seem quite the same fit as before. Is that ok/normal?

The old seal inserted into the hole. The new seal will only rest on top…
First, be sure the old rubber cup came out completely, easy to miss that, even if you've done it many times.
A small amount of dish soap as a lubricant (I always use some silicone sealant) on the rubber cup (don't get it on the ceramic) and pushing with the end of a screw driver should force it into the sealplate. They need to fit very tight to keep water in the wet-end.

So, this has been way more complicated than expected. The NPTQ165 isn’t necessary an exact fit due to the base of the pump (see attached picture.) how do I remove that base that is preventing the new motor from fitting in properly?

Secondly, the maxflo go kit that I purchased… the ceramic seal was too large for this NPTQ165. I ended up finding a replacement from a local pool shop that fits properly.

See attached pic… is there a way to remove this without taking the whole pump off completely?

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    792.8 KB · Views: 2
So, this has been way more complicated than expected. The NPTQ165 isn’t necessary an exact fit due to the base of the pump (see attached picture.) how do I remove that base that is preventing the new motor from fitting in properly?

Secondly, the maxflo go kit that I purchased… the ceramic seal was too large for this NPTQ165. I ended up finding a replacement from a local pool shop that fits properly.

See attached pic… is there a way to remove this without taking the whole pump off completely?
The top portion should pop loose unless Hayward made a change. Same issue with a Super 2 base. Use a screwdriver to wedge it up and off. If it is one piece, cut it down with a hacksaw, won't hurt a thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.