Middletown, Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am in the process of accessing my equipment needs to upgrade my pump and filter. Last year I added the SWCG to the system and now I would like to changed from a 1HP Hayward Super Pump to the 1.65 HP Hayward Super Pump VS, and with the change to a variable speed pump, I would like to also change out the DE filter for a cartridge filter.

I have a limiting factor of 1.5" suction and discharge piping. I have two skimmers, one bottom drain, which flow thru one single pipe to the pump, and one single discharge pipe that "Ts" off to three returns. total piping is about 109' with ten 90 degree fittings and three "T" fittings.

I have used the INYO pools formula to estimate the TDH of my system currently. With the TDH at 40' the pump flow (SP2607x10) is approximately 77 GPM, this calculates to a velocity of about 14' per second.
2022-04-07_13-36-58.jpg

I'm a little confused when I look at the Hayward Super Pump VS flow chart, I know that as the speed of the pump is reduced, flow also drops and so does TDH. My question is this a good replacement for my single speed 1HP Super Pump?

I believe as the pump speed is reduced and the flow drops, the TDH is also dropping and I will have flow at all speeds, but I think I want someone smarter than me to confirm that fact.

2022-04-07_13-26-59.jpg

The next question is on filters. According to flow ratings, the Hayward W3C1200, has 120' of filtration area, and a flow rate of 120 GPM so it would suffice, but from what I have read, when filtering, bigger is better. My current 40' DE filter, the powder charge lasts almost the entire swimming season (I use a robot pool cleaner once a week and I have no trees near the pool), and my pool is very clean. I could bump up to a 325' , 425' or 525' filter, but each one comes at a $ increase. So if I upsize the filter, is 325' enough or should I go bigger 425' or 525'?

The SuperFlo VS pump will work fine for you. With a VS pump you don't need to study pump curves and TDH. You just use the VS to adjust the pump for what works best in your pool.

Note that the SuperFlo VS is a 1.5 HP pump while the IntelliFlo is a 3+ HP pump. The large pump will be more energy efficient to meet your pools needs. If your pool needs .75 HP of flow the SuperFlo VS will run at half speed, 1500 rpm, while the IntelliFlo will run at 1/4 speed, or about 750 rpm. At 750 rpm toe IntelliFlo will use less electricity then the SuperFlo at 1500 rpm.

Any of those filters will be "enough" for your pool. You will need to clean the larger filter less often then the smaller filter. That is the only difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.