Upgrading filter for 16ft 6in X 9ft X 48in Prism Frame Oval Pool

westhechiang

Jun 4, 2020
Los Angeles
Hey everyone!

I just bought this Intex pool, and from what I've been reading, it sounds like the filtration system that comes with it isn't going to cut it and all signs point me to sand filters and maybe a salt water system. I want to start simple first and upgrade the filtration system. The pool I bought is pretty small with a capacity of 3,531 gallons, would it be bad to use this filtration system that's rated to filter 3000 GPH? I did read somewhere that the bigger the better since it means I don't have to run the filtration system as long but since I'm so new to pool ownership and you guys here seem to be the experts, I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the help!

I have a 4000 gal round AGP, and one of the first things I did was upgrade the pump and filter. That pump that comes with most Intex pools is woefully inadequate. I started with a 0.5 hp pump and a 12" sand filter, which have been adequate, but I needed more flow, so now I'm in the process of upgrading again, this time to a 1 hp pump and a 19" sand filter.

The moral of the story is go big from the beginning. In your case I'd get a 1 hp pump and a correspondingly sized sand filter at the very least, maybe a 1.5 hp. Experts should be along shortly to offer better advice. @Ajw @kimkats @bmoreswim can y'all help out?

A 1 hp pump is more than enough. I see lots of 30k pools with 1.5hp pumps to don't go over the 1 hp size. The difference will be in filter size and get the largest you feel that will comfortly fit and also work with the pump.

I have a 4000 gal round AGP, and one of the first things I did was upgrade the pump and filter. That pump that comes with most Intex pools is woefully inadequate. I started with a 0.5 hp pump and a 12" sand filter, which have been adequate, but I needed more flow, so now I'm in the process of upgrading again, this time to a 1 hp pump and a 19" sand filter.

The moral of the story is go big from the beginning. In your case I'd get a 1 hp pump and a correspondingly sized sand filter at the very least, maybe a 1.5 hp. Experts should be along shortly to offer better advice. @Ajw @kimkats @bmoreswim can y'all help out?

Thank you!! do you have any recommendations for a 1hp pump and 19" sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your fittings on the pool are likely 40 mm or 1.25". The pump may be the same, or it may be 1.5". I'd wait til you have the pump/filter and see, then order this
You'll need one for each outlet and inlet. Or you could install 1.5" fittings on your pool.

But wait til the filter gets there before you do anything.

Your fittings on the pool are likely 40 mm or 1.25". The pump may be the same, or it may be 1.5". I'd wait til you have the pump/filter and see, then order this
You'll need one for each outlet and inlet. Or you could install 1.5" fittings on your pool.

But wait til the filter gets there before you do anything.

Thank you for the details and links. So grateful that a community like this exists.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.