Photocatalytic Pool Sanitizer - Worth it ??

Aug 31, 2016
Nicosia
Are photocatalytic pool sanitizers such as the below a useful addition to my filtration system??

Or are they in essence a type of UV light steriliser for which I guess the tfp position is that they are no needed/ worth it.

I have an outdoor 50m3 lap pool with a skimmer/sand cannister filtration system which I sanitize using a combination of trichlor tabs and liquid chlorine and periodic partial water changes to keep the CYA at check. The only reason I am not only using liquid chlorine is that when I was doing that it was too much work (buying, carrying, dosing, ....) and very manual...

Are photocatalytic pool sanitizers such as the below a useful addition to my filtration system??

Or are they in essence a type of UV light steriliser for which I guess the tfp position is that they are no needed/ worth it.

I have an outdoor 50m3 lap pool with a skimmer/sand cannister filtration system which I sanitize using a combination of trichlor tabs and liquid chlorine and periodic partial water changes to keep the CYA at check. The only reason I am not only using liquid chlorine is that when I was doing that it was too much work (buying, carrying, dosing, ....) and very manual...
The specs say that chlorine is still needed so if you’re already using chlorine, why spend money on another device?

Reactions: lsegeorge
On an indoor pool it might have some benefit in providing UV light to destroy/reduce combined chlorine (CC) levels and destroy bather waste before chlorine can react with it. Some of the larger models have a built in peristaltic pump for liquid dosing (chlorine) that could automate the task of adding chlorine to your indoor pool. Stay away from peroxide - it is not an approved sanitizer and it will react with and destroy any chlorine residual in the water.

Expense is an issue because the UV bulbs need to be changed typically on a regular cycle (usually less than a 1000 hours of use) and the quartz tube they sit in has to be changed regularly as well because it can become hazed over time and reduce UV output. So you should ask them about the maintenance cycle and cost of spare parts.

Consider a SWCG.
For some reason the pool supply shop was not possitive when I proposed this option...saying something about our water here in Cyprus being very "hard"...

I was considering SWCG when I wanted to give up on liquid chlorine and before moving back to trichlor.

This is a good time to reconsider it as I could divert the funds to the required equipment!

Reactions: kimkats
I live in Santa Clarita, CA which is known to have very hard water and I do not have a softener. Despite that, it’s totally fine, my tap water Calcium Hardness is about 250ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They should be replaced every two years at least.
Do you get scale buildup on faucets, dishwasher, etc?
Unfortunately its impossible to buy anymore....no one ships them to Cyprus...and if they did international shipping has gone over the roof.

Any similar test kits available in Europe??

In terms of scale, the answer is yes, we do get limescale buildup on faucets and drying dishware

I know there are members in the UK and Denmark that get pieces of a kit to improve their testing.
You can manage the water chemistry to use a SWCG. Key will be to swap out some water during your wet season to keep CH in check and manage pH and TA.

Had another discussion with my local supply shop and decided to pool the trigger an a SWCG. I also got an automatic acid feeder to keep the ph under control.

I guess now its time to do some more reading on how my routine should change.

Dump question...I am trying to access pool school to do some reading, but the web site keeps directing me to the home page. Am I doing something wrong?? Do I need to clear any settings??

Make sure to click on the links to the individual articles (like the one I highlighted below in green), and not on the coloured boxes (highlighted in red), that are just links to the very Pool School category you are already in. Tricks a number of people, a bit pointless these links to the page you are already in, but seems to be how to forum software is working.

Screenshot_20230808-214225.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.