Upgrade Pentair Easytouch 4 to 8?

Waterfan

Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2018
Chattanooga, TN
My contractor "sold us" on an Easytouch 8 automation system by Pentair - which we had to pay for months ago. When it was delivered and installed a week or so ago, his electrician could not get it to work right. I googled the model # on it and it was an Easytouch 4 and so the other "functions" were not really hooked up to work in the panel. The contractor brought out "relays" and said "now it is an 8". Well, those items wired to the 5-8 functions still don't work. So now he says he needs to update the control board inside. He also tells me Pentair isn't shipping right now because they are in NC and impacted by the Hurricane. I feel like we are being jerked around and wonder if any amount of "updates" is really going to get us to the Easytouch 8 we paid for. Does anyone happen to know?

Nope. Get them to install the ET 8 from Pentair.

Pentair is located in Moorpark, CA. Not sure about distribution or manufacturing sites.

Pentair ET manual is here --> https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Products/Manuals/20002_2010447744.pdf

Manual lists a NC Tech Support site so it seems to have some operations in NC:

Technical Support
Contact Technical Support at:
Sanford, North Carolina
(8 A.M. to 5 P.M.)
Phone: (800) 831-7133
Fax: (919) 566-8920

Moorpark, California
(8 A.M. to 5 P.M.)
Phone: (800) 831-7133 (Ext. 6312)
Fax: (805) 553-5515

Do you have an ET4 Indoor Control Panel or an ET8 Control Panel?

2018-09-17_1256.png

I think I would want an ET8 with a proper SN and support.

Reactions: setsailsoon
jim is right cause I just had this conversation with pentair and jim I'm pretty sure. you need the board now. it's the firmware on the board that makes it a 8. i didn't realize the panel itself is the same for a 4 and 8.

i also couldn't get pentair NC today either, but customer service got one of the guys in WI to call me.

so ya he is kinda jerking u around but maybe he doesn't realize either.

Yeah, board and relays. That being said...Im all for somebody making a decision, and later wanting to upgrade...Im a great example, DIY and if I want to upgrade in a year or two, so be it...but if they sold you an 8, they owe you an 8, not a 4 that has been upgraded. I would imagine that voids any warranty and increases the likelihood of something going wrong in 6 months.

Reactions: QingGuy
Thanks! You all are so helpful. Unfortunately (for us, but fortunately for other consumers) our pool guy tells us he is about to close up shop after 20 years so I have no realistic expectations that anything on my $130k investment is going to every be warrantied. At this point we are just trying to salvage what we can. Nothing is working as it should and it has been 9 1/2 months.

- - - Updated - - -

While we paid for this, we still have yet to see it.

You should still have a warranty from Pentair for equipment installed by the PB. Make sure you have receipts showing the PB installed the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pb,

The reason that I find it odd, is that I had new F/W loaded on my ET 4 card and it is now an ET 8.. As far as I know, no physical parts were changed or added..

But of course I have been wrong about a thousand times, just today, so maybe it depends on the age of the board or some other issue... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim-

My firmware is 2.16, not sure if that makes a difference. My info was stating EasyTouch 4P, now it just says 8 and I have a spa option. I am debating in upgrading to 2.18. Seems I have to update my main board and my 2 remotes also, and can't justify the price at this time.

pb,

My ET-4 board was flashed with 2.16 and it also shows ET2-8... Before it was flashed, it showed ET2-4.

I am not sure what value 2.18 is.. I don't have remotes, I use ScreenLogic.

The two resistors you show are on the front side of the board and since it is raining here, I can't tell if both resistors are installed or not. What F/W is printed on the sticker on your board??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim-

The sticker on my board says v2.16 with a manufacturer date of August 4, 2019. I would have thought with that date it would have had the latest f/w version since 2.18 was released almost 6 months earlier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.