Update of Pool and Surround in Africa.

formulaonenut

Bronze Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
South Africa
Hi All,

Never built a pool before but have put a lot of research into ideas and plumbing. This site has been the best source with lots of detail, discussion and photos. Thanks to all that post their problems, questions and solutions. It is a source of learning for all far and wide. Like I always do I start by looking at all the photos and try to glean the info needed from them but with pool plumbing it is near impossible for a newbie. So I set about reading as many relevant posts as possible and then set about designing the plumbing and layout in Google Sketchup which I have used to design my house, pool room and pool layout. This was time consuming but gave me an opportunity to do a virtual build and thus understand the valves, intakes and returns. Here are some screen captures:

2017-02-21%2014_25_23-Action%20center.jpg

2017-02-21%2014_25_51-Action%20center.png

2017-02-21%2014_00_42-AutoSave_Pool%20Area%203%20-%20SketchUp%20Make%202016.png

2017-02-21%2014_27_43-Action%20center.png

2017-02-21%2014_26_42-Action%20center.png

At this point we are busy with the groundwork for the pool room and stairs. I have many questions I would like to ask to achieve the most efficient, effective and cost sensitive set up. I have a full 18MB file of the build in pretty fine detail if anyone is familiar with the software. Images are small. How would I go about posting bigger images on this forum ?

Thanks in advance for helping me through this process.

WOW! What a neat design! I would LOVE to see where it is going in real life!

Pictures-If you become a supporting member (see top of page or in my siggy) you will have more photo storage and it helps us keep the lights on.

I can't wait to help you spend your money!

Kim:kim:

formula,

Welcome to TFP... As you already know, a Great resource for all your pool questions..

How deep is your deep end going to be? If not deep enough for diving, you might want to think about a sports pool, where the two ends are 4' or so deep and the middle is about 6' feet deep. This allows you to play volleyball like games. I find that deep ends, that you can't stand in, don't get used much unless they are deep enough for diving.

Great looking design and thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you all ! Thanks for the suggestion Jim but the pool is actually not a new build. It is existing as per the shallow end and deep end. I will be adding the 2 side steps and re-guniting or fiberglassing over the old gunite :confused:
I have tried to read as much about the choice of gunite vs fiberglass but it seems like a Republican vs Democrat argument ! Some very strong views from either side. Must say I like the feel of fiberglass and it seems a lot easier to keep clean. Also I am sure the tracks on my Zodiac MX8 will need replacing a lot less frequently. As far as colour loss I am going to go with an off white so this will not be as important a factor. I am leaning towards fiberglass so if I am making a mistake please help me out of it. I will be donating to this great resource as soon as I work out how to do a payment from here. It seems everyone sees any payment from Africa as a scam !

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh424/formulaonenut/2017-02-21 14_25_23-Action center.jpg

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh424/formulaonenut/2017-02-21 14_25_51-Action center.png

I will try get a photo of the current situation which is not pretty as soon as the weather clears. Also will take more screen shots to accompany all my questions.

Here is a link to my Sketchup File : Pool Area 4.skp - Google Drive

Last edited:
My first question would be about 1 pump or 2 pumps. As can be seen from this screen shot from below the equipment is on one end of the pool while the solar collector plumbing is on the other end all together. Approximately 80 feet apart and because the room sits below the pool the bottom of the solar collectors would be approximately 6 foot above the pool pump. Not sure if my 1HP pump would pump from the spa to the pump, all that way back to the collectors, through the collectors, and back to the spa. It would essentially be the spa that I am looking to heat. That is a total run of 215 feet including a 6 foot rise but excluding the collectors ! The other idea would be to have a dedicated pump for the solar collectors as I have it drawn now. I presume a small pump would do the job but this then begs the question should I not have a dedicated pump on this end of the area for the spa heating and to power the jets. Possibly a bigger HP pump to run the proposed 8 jets ? In this case I would still run a return from the main pump and filter to the spa with a waterfall back into the pool for filtration of the spa water. I hope I have made this as clear as possible. I have also a link to the pump specs if that helps:

badu-eco-touch-technical-information.pdf - Google Drive

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/...017-02-21 14_27_43-Action center.png~original

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/...017-02-21 14_26_42-Action center.png~original

Have tried to post the pics for viewing inside this post but to no success. Here is a pic of the build site :

20170303_065615.jpg

As you can see the pool is old. Pretty much the same perspective as in the first pic on this thread. You can see behind the potted plants the blocks I am using to mock up for the spa bath. Need to get this part done.

Any suggestions on my above questions ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe another question would get some help :

I am building in a spa bath with overflow into the pool. I have found a website http://aquamagazine.com/builder/state-of-the-art-spa-details.html

Customspa_1014.jpg

cusspa_suckoutlet_1014.jpg

cusspa_outlet_1014.jpg

There are some interesting ideas here with the tow kick and recessed suction outlets. I would like to employ these design ideas. Any comments welcome.

I would be either plastering or fiberglassing the spa. Do you think it would be difficult with the toe kick ?

I also saw somewhere where they used these 3 port channel outlets as a jet bypass return to the spa - the 2 "A"s in the second pic join for the return from the pump. Also any comments on this ?

In Photobucket copy the IMG code and paste it into your post and it will show up in the thread.

An 80' run and 6' of rise is not all that significant for 2" PVC. It doesn't take much energy to move water horizontally. Moving 50 gpm horizontally 100' through 2" pvc is the same as 4' of rise.

I would use 1 variable speed pump that can be controlled by a solar controller. Then you can run the pump at low speed on solar standby and the solar controller will open the solar valve and increase the pump speed when solar heat is available.

I use to Pentair Solartouch and the Intelliflo pump. It runs at 1100 rpm on standby and uses 150 watts. When solar heat is available it ramps the pump speed and opens the valve. My plumbing goes pump, filter, solar, heater, SWG, pool. Pics in my pool thread, link in sig.

Thanks for the response and advice pooldv. I am normally very good with computer related stuff but for the life of me I cannot get this picture thing right here.

I have tried so many options. Tried another photo in Photobucket and used "Insert Image". When I am logged in to my profile it works but when I log out the photo from Photobucket does not show. I looked at the page source code and could see there was a problem but do not know how to fix. I will do the same post here for reference if anyone can help:

20170303_065615.jpg

Finally got the hang of it. Had to right click the photo in Photobucket and copy image address. Then Insert Image from URL here, paste address but some of the addresses needed trimming down to .jpg. The3n I had to unclick " Retrieve remote file and reference locally". Well they seem to be working !!

I got ya! We have a new feature here at TFP. I will walk you through it one step at a time and hope I do not forget a step.

-look at the top. Find "Photo Gallery" (light blue rectangles)-click on it

-darker blue line just under the rectangles find and click on "upload images"

-add images-find them and add them

-go to "main page". Do you see your pictures?

If so GOOD! If not let me know.

NOW come back to your thread and :

Look down at the reply box.

-Click on "Go Advance"

-find the camera icon and click on it. It SHOULD take you to your album.

-click on the picture you want and it should be there!

I hope this helps!

I see you found a way. The way above may be easier. Use the one that works best for you!

I am guessing you are not getting many answers on the spa bath as it is not the "norm". Different is not bad but better to not say anything than to say the wrong thing.

I am not sure where to have you ask this question. I will give a shout out to our "expert" group and see if they have any ideas.

When using Photobucket, or other host, when you copy the IMG code you just paste it into the text of your post. Don't use the insert image icon.

I have never seen a spa drain like that. It is definitely cool and I don't see any reason why it won't work fine if you can find a PB who is willing to do it.

Any pool builders that can advise whether it is possible to expose the side of the pool in the photo while it is still full:

I know it may sound crazy. I am waiting for winter here (kids want to swim until the last of the season) to drain the pool and do the necessary changes. However I would like to continue building the overflow spa if possible. But it means exposing the side of the pool shell in the shallow end.

What do you think ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.