swimin

Jun 28, 2019
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last night was shock night... I used 2 lbs of granular shock. This morning, I discovered random piles of white powdery substance in the bottom of the pool. This has happened before and I couldn't figure it out. This time, I think I have the answer...undissolved chemicals???
What say you?

Yeah, shock is a verb, not a noun! In all seriousness, never rely on the marketing-speak product name of anything you put in your pool. Look at the ingredients. If none are listed....stay away for sure.

The most egregious is “alkalinity up” sold at pool stores. Alkalinity up = baking soda at 5-10 times the price!

So....as Marty asked..what did you really put in your pool?

Reactions: borjis and swimin
Ok so you succeeded in making me feel stupid. It was 2 lbs of cal hypo as directed by the pool store devils. “To be added weekly,” they said.
Last year I used only liquid chlorine and don’t remember seeing this accumulation of dust on the bottom of the pool. This year we started visiting a new local pool store and, as a result, have changed our way of adding chemicals... after reading the ABCs, I see that I was doing alright before. So, I truly can maintain my pool with bleach, borax, and baking soda?:unsure:

I need to add muratic acid too, to bring the pH down from time to time. EDIT: Oh, and CYA. Haven't needed to add borax or baking soda yet. (I mean, I did, because I bought Alkalinity Up before I found this place, but....)

Reactions: swimin
If you do add cal hypo (which you can, if your calcium can take the increase), get a 5 gallon bucket, get it at least halfway full of water, dissolve the cal hypo into the bucket, and pour it into your pool at a return jet, slowly.

Ok so you succeeded in making me feel stupid. It was 2 lbs of cal hypo as directed by the pool store devils. “To be added weekly,” they said.
Last year I used only liquid chlorine and don’t remember seeing this accumulation of dust on the bottom of the pool. This year we started visiting a new local pool store and, as a result, have changed our way of adding chemicals... after reading the ABCs, I see that I was doing alright before. So, I truly can maintain my pool with bleach, borax, and baking soda?:unsure:
That certainly wasn’t my intent! Just trying to use a little humor. This site taught me a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.