Underground runs - flex pvc or hard pipe with couplings?

Jun 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I am (almost) ready to hard plumb my new AGP with 1-1/2" PVC piping. I have my jandy valves, my fittings, my unions. I have my layout finalized. The only question I have is about the 16' run between the pool and the equipment pad. These runs will be buried.

I have no easy access to 20' lengths of piping. That means I would have to join two 10' pieces for the runs between the pool and the pump/filter. I am a bit concerned about this. Would it better to buy a length of flexible PVC and use that for the long underground runs, with hard PVC for the shorter runs (ground to skimmer, pump, etc.) ?

Or am I unnecessarily worried about an underground joint? Some of the elbows, after all, will also underground.

Most of us with in-ground pools have a dozen or more joined solid PVC pipes. As long as the glue joint is done properly, there’s is nothing to worry about. I suspect you will be pressure testing your lines after you put them together and so that will tell you what you need to know.

Plenty of pools are built using flexible PVC and they last a long time. I personally don’t like flex PVC and would opt for hard pipe anytime I could use it. There are also sporadic anecdotes that flex PVC is more susceptible to termite damage than hard pipe but I’ve not seen anything more than old-plumber’s-wive’s tales about that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.