Under contract on a Home in Osage Beach Missouri

Well, Lake of the Ozarks, you are better off in a pool IMHO. nice views, but WAY too many people in boats way too big to be on a lake...
I live near Jefferson City and prefer to go to Pomme de Terre or Table Rock lake over Lake of the Ozarks. Personal preference for sure.

Back on subject, I don't have experience with in ground pools, but cost to maintain my 2 Intex pools that I have had up until now, the Salt pool was more expensive up front, but cheaper and easier to maintain year over year. But testing is key either way. Vaughn pools in Jefferson City will test your water for free, not sure if there is anywhere at the lake that will.

@rweiler994 thanks for jumping in to welcome this poster and to share your experience. I bet you are very excited to get your pool in and running! What a great time in your life!

I do want to chat with you about pool store testing. If you read TFP much you will find we don't put much stock in any testing other than the pool owner doing it with their own test kit. MANY of us, me being one, have found the "free" testing is not free after buying all of the stuff they try to sell you to "fix" your water. The pool store is there to make money where TFP is here to help pool owners have Trouble Free pools testing their own water and buying their pool chemicals from Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc for a much better price.

Test Kits Compared Here is a link to the test kits we recommend.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: cowboycasey
I agree the store is trying to make money, I spent some there, I bought 1 gallon of muriatic acid, which was the only thing my pool ended up needing even by their testing all summer with free tests every 2 weeks because the water here is super hard. I used their testing Rear a way to supplement my own test strips (read your link, and I agree they are not easy to read hence the backup testing). I am sure there are some stores that are less than ethical on the results, but I have not had a bad experience yet with mine. Also due to my pool previously being an Intex seasonal pool I did not want to invest a pile of money in testing kits as long as my water was clean and clear. Once my pool is installed I will grab a kit of my own for sure, but while doing it yourself is preferable, sometimes a backup is nice to fall back on starting out.

I will ask if there is a kit recommended that includes salinity for salt pools? or a preferred brand of (cough) test strip for salinity? The only thing I have consistently had to treat for all my prior seasons was hardness.