*UNDER CONSTRUCTION 1/11/2020 *

Overall shotcrete went well. The pump hoses kept clogging so there was always one mixer truck waiting on one to empty. There were four mixers in all. The first spray broke a hose joint/union and it burst under pressure sending the mix into my neighbors yard and on his house. They cleaned it up, but I felt bad. It took about four hours start to finish.

IMG_1532.JPEG
IMG_1530.JPEG

IMG_1559.JPEG

IMG_1552.JPEGIMG_1543.JPEGIMG_1551.JPEGIMG_1545.JPEG

That looks awesome! Looks like a pool now!

sending the mix into my neighbors yard and on his house.
OH NO!! Glad they got it cleaned up and fast before it could dry and cause a harder job to clean up!!

Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it. Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

It is time for YOUR set of links!

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Timujin
That looks awesome! Looks like a pool now!

OH NO!! Glad they got it cleaned up and fast before it could dry and cause a harder job to clean up!!

Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it. Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

It is time for YOUR set of links!

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

I have bonded three times so far. It's 4:58 AM...and I am about to bond some more. It is odd hearing the water flow throughout the shell when bonding.

Thank you for my set of links.

The shotcrete company left extra concrete and pump hose washout in my yard in trenches (that I still plan on using), on top of dirt piles here and there like animals. I left to get them lunch and came back to a bit of a mess. I asked to the PB why in the hail they would do this without saying anything. He had no answer. Just that is what they do. I told him it was very unprofessional. This will be added to my growing list of things to ask a PB when getting an estimate. What happens to all of the construction waste? Do you know what a concrete washout is?

Another thing to go on the list "I need 2-3 days notice before people show up unannounced." After the shotcrete was done I went to work. Thirty minutes later the Ring Cam shows the (lazy) electricians at my door. My yard is secured when someone is not working. They had to leave.

I asked the PB to give me the name of the company he uses for plaster. He asked why? The nerve. Explained I need to know all of the nerdy stuff listed on the NPC website like "Step 5. Test fill water for pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and metals. Record test results." PB says the water in your area is fine and they guys don't do that until the pool is filled. WRONG! He went on to say there will be some streaking WRONG. I will contact the plaster company directly as it is listed on the NPC website.

In other news, the gas meter was upgraded and the coping was selected. The tile my wife wants is $14.00 each! Lord help me.

60159356571__12A07C99-0564-45A0-B7B1-6C878EB2F520.JPEG

IMG_1566.JPEG

IMG_1564.JPEGIMG_1568.JPEG
Lunch pizza bones. THX
IMG_1577.JPEG
IMG_1579.JPEG

IMG_1583.JPEGIMG_1625.JPEG

IMG_1604.JPEG

GURRRRRRRRRRR on the wash out! I would TELL the PB someone, you don't care who, needs to come dig all of that out and take it away WITHOUT doing any damage to the pipes! THEN I would do it myself as I would not trust anyone to do without damage. I would tell the PB he has to remove the stuff once you get it all out.

The tile my wife wants is $14.00 each!
OUCH! So here is what you do..............show her that PRETTY (I love it!) tile as a "statement" tile. Use it for every 6th or so tile. Have "regular" blue or gray tile for the rest of the tiles. If you use that PRETTY tile for every tile it will not stand out as much so won't be as special. Let me know if this works! I really do think it would look awesome!

Reactions: Timujin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few updates. We changed the tile selection and that had to be ordered. Coping was dropped off today and the tile is ready for pickup. We need to order some 2" tiles for all of the areas one can eat poop. I am really stressing about the prep of this ugly shotcrete and the plaster application. After being done with the regular watering of the shell, I see some areas that may or may not be a concern. The electricians had to hammer out the rebound from my trenches the shotcrete company didn't haul away. They were ******, but now I can finish running my speak wire conduits. IMG_1748.JPEGIMG_1749.JPEGIMG_1750.JPEGIMG_1751.JPEGIMG_1834.JPEGIMG_1838.JPEG

Misc accessories.

The zinc may be overkill, but galvanic corrosion is real.

Water supply will be tested to see what is in it. Plaster company is listed on the npc.org site which is good. Plaster color will most likely be old fashioned white given the tile color and the fact that the pool will get a ton of sun and absorb heat.
60150509841__A82823DF-483D-4017-8000-A28AB3B1AD1A.JPG60150516107__DDE7AB8E-3870-406E-A174-7C600FCAA70B.JPGIMG_1872.jpg

Those places are of no real concern as the plaster will fill them in. (Saying that I would think about putting something in that one were it looks like the rebar has already started to rust through to be on the extra safe side. A small amount of tube concrete like stuff would work and be easy to find.)

Not sure what kind of 2" tile you mean..........look at what was printed about it LOL

I would go with white plaster to go with those tiles. I am glad she has agreed to the using the "fancy" tile as accent pieces!

The last gunite photo with exposed rebar is on the outside of the spa in the back corner. Still have it cut out?
0959EA03-2C67-4317-8B34-FE4B1CA312C0.jpeg

Those places are of no real concern as the plaster will fill them in. (Saying that I would think about putting something in that one were it looks like the rebar has already started to rust through to be on the extra safe side. A small amount of tube concrete like stuff would work and be easy to find.)

Not sure what kind of 2" tile you mean..........look at what was printed about it LOL

I would go with white plaster to go with those tiles. I am glad she has agreed to the using the "fancy" tile as accent pieces!

Sorry no bling:cry:

The 2” tiles are for pool step markers.

2C2FA7C9-6146-47FF-8D9D-592B8DC9FCB9.jpeg

Areas where one can “eat poop”

I have this image of someone stepping into the pool or spa not being able to see the steps and then blood and teeth are in the water. Reminds me I need a new whistle.

Attachments

• E8B8AC8B-8945-4593-8396-502AC1D76013.jpeg
    E8B8AC8B-8945-4593-8396-502AC1D76013.jpeg
    811 KB · Views: 32
Coping and tile are going on and in. Looks great IMHO. The goal was light earth tones with a contrast that blends with the house. 4E635110-B8D6-43B4-B911-4F3F6E4CDCD6.jpeg5E89B207-EA27-4077-9F46-833253A3F9FD.jpeg113475BB-0063-4B46-AE4A-B0D69DEECBD2.jpeg8C7EACCB-9DD6-4148-9282-8BC6889EC4D7.jpegimage.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.